Pa Subwoofer question

• Members

I had a pa sub that quit working last night.  I took it apart today and direct wired the speaker and it works.  I believe it to be the internal crossover.  Here is my question.  Can I direct wire the sub to the input jacks and bypass the crossover or do I need to replace it?  Will it still perform the way it did before?

• Members

I'm guessing the "crossover" is just a choke coil. If you're using an external crossover then it's perfectly fine, and perhaps even preferable, to remove it. If you're not then it's not a good idea as you'll be sending full frequency audio through the sub, which isn't a great idea.

• Members

richsmith79 wrote:

I had a pa sub that quit working last night.  I took it apart today and direct wired the speaker and it works.  I believe it to be the internal crossover.  Here is my question.  Can I direct wire the sub to the input jacks and bypass the crossover or do I need to replace it?  Will it still perform the way it did before?

As abzurd has stated if you're using an external crossover that's just fine.  If you're not using an external crossover the sub will not perform as it did before.  It will perform somewhat like a driver receiving the full range,  but in a sub box. You don't want that.  All kinds of sounds that should mainly be going to your top boxes will be present in the sub - if you don't have an external crossover. 

In fact even with an external crossover the sub probably won't perform exactly as it did before - but that could be a good thing.

• Members

richsmith79 wrote:

Have you tested the driver or is this just a guess?

First, verify that you have correctly identified the problem.

• Members

The series coil is an inductor.  A series coil can be put in place for those not interested in using

an active crossover for the sub bandwidth.  Typically these inductors should be removed if you

are running active.   Also, the series inductor causes a 90 degree phase shift and this is something that

is also eliminated when bypassing the inductor.   Also, there is some insertion loss with any passive

xover.   

The only component I would have any type of inductor or capacitor on in an active system is a DC blocking

capacitor on the compression driver.   If I xover a compression driver @800hz I then put a series cap that

will block from 400hz and up.  Keep in mind that even with a series cap you have a 90 degree phase shift.

Archived