Crown I-Tech 8000

• Members

I came across a Crown I-Tech 8000 at my dealers' store yesterday. The amp looks to be in great shape, and they'll guarantee it for 90-days. It may also be covered by a Crown warranty,,, but I'm not sure about that.

Last year, I was looking for one of these amps, in order to allow me to buy a pair of Yorkville TX9s subs. I couldn't find one locally, for under $3300. plus 15% tax, so I passed.

My dealer is asking $2500 for this one.

I'm a complete noob to powering passive speakers, so I'd need to know; what's so great about these amps? Is it the processing? Is it low-consumption, high-output?

What should I offer for this amp? I see a few "used" I-T8000's on-line, and most folks seem to be asking around $2500. I also get the impression that they're still very much in demand. If he hasn't sold it yet, I was thinking of offering $2k, then hanging on to it until I get the TX9s subs (or VTC NS9). That would most likely happen next year, but, it could happen sooner.

Thanks

• Members

I use Crown Itech 6000's on my Yorkville TX9S subs.  If I remember correctly the TX9S cab is 1800 watts @ 4 ohms thus an Itech 4000 would be ideal using one cab per side.

Itech 4000's are alot less expensive than Itech 8000's...

Mike M 

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

A factory warranty is really important, out of warranty repair is not something you want to experience.

I can just imagine........

Andy, I found a few listings for "new" I-Tech 8000's at something like $7,329. What's the main difference between these mega-dollar amps, and the inexpensive and ultra-light-weight class-D amps I'm seeing all over the place? Is the processing "that much more sophisticated"? Is it longevity, and the ability to drive more difficult loads?

I still see a lot of people looking for these amps, and willing to pay roughly $1800- $2000.

• Members

Mike M wrote:

I use Crown Itech 6000's on my Yorkville TX9S subs.  If I remember correctly the TX9S cab is 1800 watts @ 4 ohms thus an Itech 4000 would be ideal using one cab per side.

Itech 4000's are alot less expensive than Itech 8000's...

Mike M 

At this point, I'm not certain that I'd go with the TX9s, or the VTC NS9. They both appear to be the same sub, and I'm assuming the VTC version is somewhat upgraded. The 4-Ohm NS9 is rated 1200w nominal, and 2400w continuous. I was considering buying up to four of those. (maybe)

http://www.vtcproaudio.com/ns9.html

• Members

Bobby1Note wrote:

I'm a complete noob to powering passive speakers, so I'd need to know; what's so great about these amps? Is it the processing? Is it low-consumption, high-output?

The answer is YES..to everything you mentioned.

I ran (2) IT8000 for two years, great amps and if I used my larger system more often I would not have sold them off.

I don't know what the currency difference is, but here in the USA the magic number for a quick sell price on a used IT8k is $1800

Thats what I paid for mine, and its also what I sold them for after using them for two years.

I would highly advise buying one with a factory warranty, if you can find factory refurbished they usually have a 1-year warranty on them.

The processing is great in them, the limiters are one of the best out their.

• Members

Thanks Vinny, much appreciated.

That $1800 figure seems pretty consistent, and if I decide to go ahead with this, that's what I'll offer. Hell, I saw a guy on eBay, selling a BIG batch of these, starting at $1900 for a single unit, to $1700.ea for something like 3 or more, then $1500.ea for 10 or more. I'll show that to me dealer and see what he says. That said, the 30amp circuit requirement may be an issue for me.

Archived