OT- moving into a new house, the cable/DSL question

• Members

Sorry if this is too off topic but I'm gonna rely on the fact that this forum has more experts on it that in, say, off topic or the guitar forum. If you'd like I can post it there and provide a link to how quickly things can go downhill...

My wife and I bought a house and we're in the process of moving. There is an overlap of a couple weeks where we (um, actually "I") get to paint stuff and fix/replace. But who cares. It's my hatred of comcast that is the reason for this post.

Currently:

Comcast for cable, basic plus some extras like HBO and showtime all on promotional prices. And my wife likes to buy movies. cost is around $140+movies, this month it was an extra $30

Clearwire, 4mbs down, .7mps up. Not great but really does just fine for our needs. Been working everyday for the last 4 years. $33/mo

Netflix you know. Got it on our Wii/PS3/Ipad etc. $8

We don't have a home phone, basically this is a clean slate opportunity here, Start fresh you know.

The question to youse out there: who do you like for service?

If it helps, we're not big on DVR stuff, sport channels. regular ol TV is fine, and the innernets we getting is ok too.

• Members

Good question and worth thinking about. Congratulations on the move too.

I just did this 4 years ago, moved my shop and house to a new property that had a good sized commercially zoned shop on site, but where we are there was no option for cable.

I found that the telco DSL was available where I am (by about 2000 feet) at lower speed but still plenty adequate. I went with Dish for the TV thing, it was overall less expensive than our old ComCast AND the DVR thing is really nice. I can watch an hour of TV in 35-40 minutes. Way cool. Again, because of location, ATT was my only practical cell choice, so availability played a big role in how it worked out.

• Members

First off, congratulations on the new house.

Pete, Although I'm in Canada, I do business with ITT Primus for telephone and internet. I'm a Costco Executive member, and as such , I got my package through them. I've been 100% satisfied. If you're a Costco member, it may be worthwhile checking out. I don't know how this compares to U.S. plans,,, your market is way more competitive for this stuff, but I get 10mbps hi-speed internet, unlimited downloads, plus my basic phone, and unlimited long-distance 24/7, anywhere in North America. $59./mo. for the first year/ $69.00 after that.

Our TV plans SUCK. I do business with Bell, and you've got to watch those bastards like a hawk, because they pad your bill with stuff you've never asked for.

• Members

I've been with Comcast for years. I pay about $140/month for TV. internet and phone (not including rented movies). Overall I have been happy with their customer service up until the issue I am currently having with them. Basically, I returned their internet modem about a year ago when I bought my own to save the $7/month fee. I don't usually check my bill but just pay it. Many months go by when I noticed that they were still charging me for it. Well 3 phone calls (approx. 45 minutes each) later and I still haven't gotten the $100 refund they promised me. It wasn't until the 2nd call that they finally stopped charging me for the unit. So as of right now, if I don't see the refund on February's bill, I'll be switching to FiOS.

• Members

I've had charter for years. Seemed to work fine, nice speed but uploads were slow (assume lan limited). Moved to a new apartment and had triple bundle with lan line, network and cable, standard hi def box no DVR. When I kept calling them because they kept having issues hooking up the phone line so after 2 weeks I dropped them, still have one month in collections I'm battling due to them not providing phone service for that period.

Moved to knology, found out their internet was simply superior uploads and downloads, also fast news server. Moved to a house no issues at all and the install guy even put a new cable drop in a specfic room on the 2nd floor (non wall drop) without charging me a 50.00 drop fee. We got the bundle "deal" for like 100 per month, with fees I think it was like 130.00 month, well soon as the package deal ran out bill kept increasing and increasing and now at 170.00 month, 2 dvrs,hi def, encore movie crap channel and some (but not a lot) HD channels

My beef is with all cable companies why do they always buck you once the period is over AND jack up the rates. I mean ok dude fine let me unsubscribe and drop my service and then have my SO call in to have it all hooked back up in her name as  "new customer", so why play the game?

Why not give the customer the service that drew them in the first place? Now the other company offered the triple package for 100.00 a month and the current company won't even attempt to match price. I don't want to switch cause of several reasons, one is email address and the other just being a pain in my arse and I don't know if yall ever switched a lan # from one company to another it can be quite the daunting task. 

OT: I hear downloads uploads are not favorable for dish services compared to cable? True or False? 

• Members

We don't have a land line, I haven't had one since 06 anyway. FiOS isn't available in my neighborhood which sux since they offered a $100/mo phone TV net deal. It's only 25mps download but still much better than what I get now. But right now what I'm using is fine, I think I'm paying too much though.

My crystal ball says:

Land lines will be a thing of the past, data is data

TV will migrate to more and more innernets providers: data is...

TV providers will fight with innernets providers, internet based TV providers (Netflix/Roku/Hulu/Apple TV) will be fighting to get signal to the house somehow.

And I don't have time to wait for Google fiber. oh how I want google fiber....1gps up 1gps down. thousands of channels. voip.

• Members

Unalaska wrote:

Currently:

Comcast for cable, basic plus some extras like HBO and showtime all on promotional prices. And my wife likes to buy movies. cost is around $140+movies, this month it was an extra $30

Clearwire, 4mbs down, .7mps up. Not great but really does just fine for our needs. Been working everyday for the last 4 years. $33/mo

Netflix you know. Got it on our Wii/PS3/Ipad etc. $8

The question to youse out there: who do you like for service?

Personally:  None of the above or anything else even remotely related to all that stuff.

I seem to have more free time & money that way, but I'm probably out of the loop too... 

• Members

First off might I say guys..140.00 dollars is a freegan rip off for cable!

These cable companies are ripping the public off in a HUGE way.

Heres whats around the corner.   We all like the idea of picking and paying for what we want to watch right?

How many channels are complete bs on your cable.   Why the shopping network? Are you kidding me?

Ok.  Intel has a beta box coming where the customer picks and chooses his cable channels and THAT

is what you pay for.

I mean wtf ..HBO, and all those ripp off movie channels.  You have to watch what they broadcast right?

What is to come is people will pick and choose what they want to watch and {censored} can the rest :D

I am seriously considering dumping my cable and going with strickly network connection.

There is alot to watch with having just a net connection.

I guarantee the cable companies are poopin their pants over what Intel is doing right now.

http://www.gizmag.com/intel-virtual-cable-set-top-box/25592/

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

First off might I say guys..140.00 dollars is a freegan rip off for cable!

These cable companies are ripping the public off in a HUGE way.

Heres whats around the corner.   We all like the idea of picking and paying for what we want to watch right?

How many channels are complete bs on your cable.   Why the shopping network? Are you kidding me?

Ok.  Intel has a beta box coming where the customer picks and chooses his cable channels and THAT

is what you pay for.

I mean wtf ..HBO, and all those ripp off movie channels.  You have to watch what they broadcast right?

What is to come is people will pick and choose what they want to watch and {censored} can the rest
:D

I am seriously considering dumping my cable and going with strickly network connection.

There is alot to watch with having just a net connection.

I guarantee the cable companies are poopin their pants over what Intel is doing right now.

thumbs up like the ole board, I don't know how to put pretty's in this new one.

Archived