Any good connections for RMX 4050?

• Members

Morning guys,

I am looking at 2 or possibly 3 QSC RMX 4050's, does anyone have a good source? Please PM if you don't feel it is appropriate to reply to the post. From reading a lot here I see this as a tried and true power solution, with all the positive comments from experienced users I feel confident going with them.

I am struggling a bit with the price though as them seem to go for about $1500, I am comparing them to the Crest CPX 3800 which has pretty much the same features and similar specs; I know the QSC has a better warranty option but I can get the Crest for just over 1/2 price on what I have seen for the RMX...struggling justifying the extra $. I would really appreciate it if you can share some contacts and what you feel they should sell for; if I can't find a steep discount off the $1500 I will have to be the guinea pig on the 3800's.

Thanks,

Rob

• Members

Rob_H wrote:

I am struggling a bit with the price though as them seem to go for about $1500, I am comparing them to the Crest CPX 3800 which has pretty much the same features and similar specs; I know the QSC has a better warranty option but I can get the Crest for just over 1/2 price on what I have seen for the RMX...struggling justifying the extra $.

It would seem to me that paying half would allow you to buy them twice inside the warranty period and still have the same cost.  

Besides probably 95% of warranty claims happen within the first few dozen hours of operation.  In all honesty a 6 year warranty and a 1 year warranty are almost equal.

• Members

It would seem to me that paying half would allow you to buy them twice inside the warranty period and still have the same cost.  

Besides probably 95% of warranty claims happen within the first few dozen hours of operation.  In all honesty a 6 year warranty and a 1 year warranty are almost equal.

Thanks Dan,

Agree with you there for sure, where I see the value in the longer warranty is at resale time; having clean gear that is still under warranty really drives a premium price at sell/trade time. I haven't had any electronics puke after the first few months where I didn't have a hand in it's demise (other than the crap PSU in some Dell desktops that is) :)

• Members

I think you will find that the real power rating of the speakers is somewhat optimistic, but of course nothing is clear cut.

I would consider the continuous rating to be around 500 watts, so 1.5x is around 750. Power compression robs much of any gains above the continuous rating which is what defines the point of diminishing returns imo

• Members

Vinny D wrote:

I asked in the OP's other topic, but where is the OP located?

I am in Northern Alberta, Canada; up in the Oil Sands. I try and buy locally whenever I can, I always take them the best deal I have found elsewhere and tell them if they can even get close it is theirs...lately it seems all both my sound gear and my instruments and gear are coming from US dealers, even with shipping and duty the prices are still significantly lower.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

I think you will find that the real power rating of the speakers is somewhat optimistic, but of course nothing is clear cut.

I would consider the continuous rating to be around 500 watts, so 1.5x is around 750. Power compression robs much of any gains above the continuous rating which is what defines the point of diminishing returns imo

Ah, thanks for explaining, that makes sense. It seems like almost every manufacture now has a different way of reporting specs which makes it even more confusing. My ears are my throttle and I know there is at best only a db or two gained by cranking the gear (I usually aim for sub 100) so I just don't go there; I have found in the past running bigger amps at lower than max volume really adds to the dynamic punch of the system...but again, most of my experience is on older class A/B, hoping the same holds true for the current models.

EDIT: typo city today for some reason....

Archived