Which would you use?

• Members

sonicman wrote:

I have an Ashly XR1001, DBX223XL, and Rane DC24 in my inventory.  I was just curious as to which one most of you would choose as a crossover in a two way system with passive crossed mid high boxes (SRX718s and 722s).

Yes thumb.gif.

As long as you have a HPF for the sub in your chain somewhere any will do. I know the DBX has a 40 Hz HPF, dunno about the others. If your sub amp has a 30 or 40Hz HPF you don't need it in the crossover.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Presumably, your amps are properly sized at about 1.0-1.5x the rms rating and have onboard limiters engaged.

There can be a pretty big sonic difference between using the internal clip limiters in power amps compared to using external compression/limiting.

With most power amps that I am aware of when you engage the clip limiters you are squashing down the entire audio signal present at that instance.  With an external limiter you are only turning down the portion of the signal that exceeds the threshold, leaving the audio below the threshold untouched.

This is one of the benefits of using 2x or larger amps and then using external limiting.

Archived