PLEASE ADVICE - YAMAHA DXR12 With YORKVILLE NX720S Subs

• Members

Hello, I am thinking of buying a pair of Yamaha DXR 12's and intend to use 2 Yorkville NX720S 15" Powered Subs with them.

I will appreciate if you could kindly advice me if this speaker combination would be a good match ? And also how good are the DXR 12 speakers ?

I generally play pre-recorded music (laptop, Mp3s) and sing live for audiences rancing between 250 to 450 indoors.

PS: I am inclined towards the DXR's because they are very punchy, powerful and most of all light weight.

Cheers,

Roger

• Members

Rups4 wrote:

Hello, I am thinking of buying a pair of Yamaha DXR 12's and intend to use 2 Yorkville NX720S 15" Powered Subs with them.

I will appreciate if you could kindly advice me if this speaker combination would be a good match ? And also how good are the DXR 12 speakers ?

I generally play pre-recorded music (laptop, Mp3s) and sing live for audiences rancing between 250 to 450 indoors.

PS: I am inclined towards the DXR's because they are very punchy, powerful and most of all light weight.

Cheers,

Roger

Hi Roger,

I've got good news,,,,,, and I've got bad news. First, the good;

Those loudspeakers should be a fine match for each other. You've got a 2-position hi-pass filter on the DXR12 (100Hz-120Hz), and the sub has a sweepable lo-pass filter.. The sub is rated at 128dB continuous/134dB peak, and the DXR's at 132dB peak (take those specs with a grain of salt).

Here's the bad news;

For 250-450 people, this is not the system for you. For a crowd of 450, you'd need to seriously upgrade to something like the DSR dual 15" boxes, with a pair of Yorkville LS801P's

The system you proposed, will easily rock a noisy room with uo to 150 or so, but much beyond that, you need some serious fire-power..

• Members

Rups4 wrote:

Cheers,

Roger

The DXR10s should be just fine (and lighter and smaller) if you plan on always using the subs. I would be comfortable using such a system (2 tops, 2 subs) for up to 300 people in a good sounding hall with CD music. I own the DXR8s but have heard all models in the DXR line and only have good things to say about them. Very smooth, ear pleasing sound and loaded with features at a great price. Only weak point is the fragile finish, so covers are recommended.

Al

• Members

It really depends on the genre - I'm gonna assume he isn't doing extreme metal wink.gif. Also what the seating is - is it tables and chairs with food or just rows of chairs in a theater? Stage size? I'd just try it in a smaller venue and see how close to max it's running - maybe double it up for bigger rooms. I vote for scaleable over stoopid big and heavy smile.gif.

• Members

Rups4 wrote:

Cheers,

Roger

I would say that those speakers are a great match for each other.

As for the coverage ..... well, it depends.  What sound level to you want to achieve at what distance from stage?

As an example....

I use the DSR112's over the PRX618S-XLF's for a 4 piece rock band.  Both the top and the sub are more powerful speakers than the setup you are talking about.  I can handle a room of around 200-300 with this setup and have punch to the kick at most places in the room and generate a full clean sound.

Any more than this, and I need to bring in more speakers.

For DJ music (especially electronic dance music), I would want 2 more XLF's to achieve the punch in that same room.

Now ..... if you are looking to do something like a wedding crowd, then I would say you can comfortably play a room with 400 people in it ..... assuming that many of the people are not in the "music dance" area and generally like to be able to talk.

If you are attempting to do EDM in a dance club .... you need quite a bit more sub for the club ;)

What kind of music are you playing, and what kind of venue are you doing it in?

Archived