Punch up for solos?

• Members

My harmonica pickup is a Strnad Transducer - which ends in a cord with a 1/4" TS plug (unbalanced).

Currently - I am using a little guitar EQ pedal (that also has a level setting on it) as a little "booster" for when I am doing an actual "solo" - the pedal has like a 7 band EQ on it and one level fader - I just keep the EQ settings "flat" and boost the "level" a "little bit" so when I step on the pedal and engage it - it boosts the output of the transducer for when I am doing a solo.  (Our drummer sets up the PA - on stage - but of course he is playing drums - and can't really "ride the mixer" for stuff like this.

Is there a better way for doing this?  I would like to have a way to boost up the bass player too - for when he is doing a little "solo".

• Members

The only other ways are a volume control on the mic, or working with technique.

For your bass player, an amp with a footswitchable boost function or a foot switchable 2 channel amp, boost pedal, the volume control on his bass (may affect tone and/or drive) and technique.

• Members

There's nothing wrong with what you're doing.   A lot of guitar players do that too.  You just need to make sure your normal level and your solo level are right.  You don't want the solo screaming loud and then you can't hear the normal stuff.  It sounds like you have a handle on that though.

As for the bass player, it sounds like maybe he needs to buy an EQ pedal too.  If it works for you it should work for him. 

• Members

wasRbts wrote:

My harmonica pickup is a Strnad Transducer - which ends in a cord with a 1/4" TS plug (unbalanced).

Currently - I am using a little guitar EQ pedal (that also has a level setting on it) as a little "booster" for when I am doing an actual "solo" - the pedal has like a 7 band EQ on it and one level fader - I just keep the EQ settings "flat" and boost the "level" a "little bit" so when I step on the pedal and engage it - it boosts the output of the transducer for when I am doing a solo.  (Our drummer sets up the PA - on stage - but of course he is playing drums - and can't really "ride the mixer" for stuff like this.

Is there a better way for doing this?  I would like to have a way to boost up the bass player too - for when he is doing a little "solo".

That is one of the best ways I have seen for guitar players to "punch up" for leads.  You are currently running the eq flat, I have seen people shape the lead tone a little to disquinsh it from the rythm tone.

• Members

I used to do it for my guitar the way you're doing it now. I ran a Boss GE-7 in the FX loop of an L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic preamp/DI. Worked OK, but the GE-7 was pretty noisy. When I started playing two guitars on stage, I got a Radial PZ-Pre, which is a two channel preamp/DI. It has it's own built-in boost footswitch that can also be set to engage an FX loop. It can also either switch (by foot) between two instrument inputs or work as a small 2 channel mixer, and it also has a mute footswitch. This has been a very good all-in-one solution for me on stage for two instruments. They also make a single channel version called a PZ-Deluxe (with no FX loop). There are a few other preamp/DI units out there that have a boost, too. Take a look at the Red Eye and the L.R. Baggs Venue DI, for example. You might not need all the things some of these units provide with guitarists in mind, but the Red Eye might be of interest to you. A simple instrument preamp/DI with minimum EQ controls, a boost, and an FX loop (if you use effects on your harmonica).

Louis

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Well - yes - there IS a volume knob - but - what can I say - I don't really like messing with those things.

We "mix" from stage - and the drummer is the "tech" - he pretty much sets things at the beginning - and - pretty much - leaves them alone - with - some exceptions.  If "everyone" (or anyone) is messing with their volume knob all night - the overall "balance" of the mix keeps changing - (shrugs) - I don't know - maybe not that much - maybe - (shrugs) I don't know - but it makes me nervous to think about.

Turning a knob is somewhat variable - did I turn it "up" enough?  - did I really turn it "back" to where it was?

I sort of like the idea of a pedal - where you click a pedal - and get a precise amount of "boost" then you unclick it and go back - exactly - to where you were - not to mention - you don't have to use your hands - which presumably - are busy at that instant - playing the first few notes of your solo? 

The boss EQ pedal that I have been using is alright - but - the little faders are - well - just little - and little changes (do I really have it set at "exactly" the same place as last time???) can make a pretty big difference.  This Radial PZ Deluxe - has a recessed knob - that you turn with a screw driver - that is quite finite - you can set it through trial and error to "exactly" how much "boost" you want - and it stays right there - no matter what - just throw the pedal in a "gig bag" and pull it out and set it up and BINGO - you have the exact same setting you had "last time".  It is working for me.  I have NOT started trying things with the bass player yet - he is still working on his solo - lol - but I am thinking ahead to our next performance.

Maybe I am making things more complicated than they have to be (which I hate to do) - I love to Keep It Simple (Stupid).

Archived