Speakon question

• Members

Hi,

Our Samson Mixer has Speakon or 1/4" output, and the Peavey PR12 has only 1/4" input.  We are planning on using 100ft cables.

Is there any audio difference between:

1.  100ft 1/4" to 1/4" cable

2.  100ft Speakon to 1/4" cable

2.  100ft Speakon to Speakon cable, then Speakon to 1/4" adapter into the Peavey speaker

• Members

Grayson73 wrote:

Hi,

Our Samson Mixer has Speakon or 1/4" output, and the Peavey PR12 has only 1/4" input.  We are planning on using 100ft cables.

Is there any audio difference between:

1.  100ft 1/4" to 1/4" cable

2.  100ft Speakon to 1/4" cable

2.  100ft Speakon to Speakon cable, then Speakon to 1/4" adapter into the Peavey speaker

No only thing that matters is the speaker gauge size being that's pretty long speaker run and highly recommed  going here http://www.audiopile.net/products/Speaker_Cables/NL-2-13/NL-2-13_update_cutsheet.shtml

and let Mark or Liz know you need Speakon to 1/4 and they'll hook you up.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

No practical difference. For your application, 14 gauge is plenty big, even for 100'

Yep... People so often overestimate the wire size needed for their application. 

Reminds me of when the previous band I was in first started, I was hooking up the PA, and the guitard/band-leader walks over and insists that I use one of his 16-guage speaker cables going from the snake box return to the power amp. 

24 guage from his ax to his amp, 25

Archived