Harmony Central Forums
Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse

Announcement

Harmony Central has “soft launched” our new mobile experience this past week. While we have done extensive testing, we know that with a community as large as HC that there will be items that surface that will still need to be addressed. We are asking that you utilize the thread belowto report any challenges you may encounter. Here are the things we request you provide: A brief description of the issue, the device and operating system version you were using, the browser and version, screen resolution, and a screen shot of the display.
Thanks for your patience as we work towards the best experience we can provide to our community.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/forum/...ablet-feedback
See more
See less

Getting more gain from lead vocals....?

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse

X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting more gain from lead vocals....?

I've just purchased a TC Helicon Voicelive Play for our band's female singer though it's not arrived yet. We'll be using this for her vocal effects at shows, as it seems to have the right combination of effects, simple display, etc.... I'll be running that to a Behringer DI800, then to FOH.

We've had issues in the past where her vocals were quieter that we would have liked (she sings quiet, it's just how it is), so what I'm asking - is there anything else I can do to get more signal gain to FOH? The DI800 has a +20 dB switch, is that where I should be dealing with the issue? Or do I need a compressor or something onstage too?

Advice/tips much appreciated!

TC Helicon Voicelive Play

Attached Files

How far past unity is her channel and the master on the mixer? What kind of microphone does she use? Is the input gain set properly on her channel? Does she use it properly, or is she one of these people that wants a microphone to work three feet away from her head?

Usually the best place IME to get more gain is at the input. The cheapest mic you should even consider using is a Shure SM-58. Make sure the mic and monitors are oriented for no feedback. And have her sing //right into// the microphone.
    <div class="signaturecontainer">--<br><br>Hammond: BC, M3, Split L111, L122 / Leslie: 51, 760 / Yamaha: DGX-620, PF-85<br><br>Follow my new band, <a href="http://DrBombay.ca/connect.html" target="_blank">Dr. Bombay</a>! We're going to be organasmic!</div>

Comment

• wesg
      wesg commented
      Editing a comment
      PS - IM (limited) E a compressor is not the answer here. That will limit her dynamic range, and it sounds like it's already quite limited. I only like to use a compressor on backup vocals for keyboard players and drummers who aren't always quite on the mic.

• tttablets
      tttablets commented
      Editing a comment
      The mic is an Audix OM5 ... we were using a 58 before that.

Choices

Less stage volume. 

More sound system

What I mean is a sound system with a higher decibel output capability

Comment

• Marko
      Marko commented
      Editing a comment
      This might not be the problem, but something that might be considered.

Maybe her voice and some other instrument(s) are sharing the same sonic space, basically stepping on her, or cancelling her out.

Maybe changing that instrument

Working...
X