How much back up gear do you bring with PS 24.4.2?

• Members

Evening everyone,

I am making the move to the Presonus 24.4.2 and planning out my new rack arrangements for the new amps as well; how much back up gear do you guys take along when using the internal effects/EQ is in the PS? I will be packing an older Mackie 12 channel mixer for sure, just curious if you are all still packing your old effects and EQs? I have been looking at the dbx Driverack PA+ as a possible alternative in that it covers off compressor and EQ in one unit, any thoughts on that?

Is there anything else I should be considering as back-up gear with one of these? From what I have read both here and on other boards it seems like these are pretty bullet-proof but I am also in the boonies for most gigs and don't want to be known as "that guy".

Thanks,

Rob

• Members

MainEventSound wrote:

I don't bring any extra and I use the 24 and 16.4.2 models every week

Same. Packing extra kind of defeats the purpose for me.

I've had a rental 24 go down on me during a fall fair show, but managed to limp through it. A backup plan would have been nice.

• Members

Rob_H wrote:

Evening everyone,

I am making the move to the Presonus 24.4.2 and planning out my new rack arrangements for the new amps as well; how much back up gear do you guys take along when using the internal effects/EQ is in the PS? I will be packing an older Mackie 12 channel mixer for sure, just curious if you are all still packing your old effects and EQs? I have been looking at the dbx Driverack PA+ as a possible alternative in that it covers off compressor and EQ in one unit, any thoughts on that?

Is there anything else I should be considering as back-up gear with one of these? From what I have read both here and on other boards it seems like these are pretty bullet-proof but I am also in the boonies for most gigs and don't want to be known as "that guy".

Thanks,

Rob

It's always a good idea to have a backup mixer with you (and other critical gear).  My experience has been that when the SL boards work, they work well. However, I have personally had SL24 boards crash and glitch on me at shows, requiring reboots, resets, and the rebuilding of an entire show from scratch.  The venue had to send the board in for service, and then the replacement SL24 had some similar issues. To be fair, I have mixed at other venues that have these with no issues at all. 

I recently bought my own digital board, and I went with the X32. Rock solid so far, and simply tons more features and power for the money.  You may not need as many inputs and features, so a SL24 may be fine for your application. 

• Members

I recently bought my own digital board, and I went with the X32. Rock solid so far, and simply tons more features and power for the money.  You may not need as many inputs and features, so a SL24 may be fine for your application. 

Thanks, I figured for the odd time I may need more I would use the fat channel for drums, that is one of the areas on the board I plan on getting to know well early on, I like using stereo with multi mikes on guitar amps and a mono for each guitar so even for a typical 2 axe band I am down to 18 before anyone else is in.

Archived