High-End "Portable" Tops....

• Members

In certain situations where my full KS Audio system is not needed, I'd like to find a pair of high-quality tops.... (better than JBL PRX / QSC K etc...) Please make suggestions, advice, recommendations, etc... Thanks in advance!

Requirements: Active, Under 60lbs, +130dB max SPL

Currently looking at:
DAS Avant
RCF TT
Meyer UPA (77lb)

What else should I be considering?

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I'm also taking into consideration - "Serviceability". If something were to go wrong, I'd like to have a decent support network. Some of these super-small companies have awesome products, but I'd hate to have weeks of downtime if there was an issue. With that said, the RCF TT's are looking like pretty solid contenders.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dcastar

View Post

I'm also taking into consideration - "Serviceability". If something were to go wrong, I'd like to have a decent support network. Some of these super-small companies have awesome products, but I'd hate to have weeks of downtime if there was an issue. With that said, the RCF TT's are looking like pretty solid contenders.

Then Meyer might be an issue for you. As far as I know, all repairs are done in house on the West Coast which means shipping time might be 2 weeks alone back and forth.

• Members

JBL VP7212 sounds amazing! I did get to play with a RCF TT22 once, sounds awesome too. Db tech has a few speakers that should be right there in the cost and performance tier as well. DVX line I think.

Fulcrum is a few of the old EAW gang. I've heard a couple of there boxes, very nice. Nothing powered at that time.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Unalaska View Post
Can the KS system be scaled down?
No... unfortunately not. The tops are passive... They are powered + processed by built-in amps in the subs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dookietwo View Post
http://www.fullcompass.com/product/347947.html

An EV box with 133db output. Available in 90 degree box or 60. Just a little over 50lbs.
LOL... EV ZX's... These are pretty far from 'high-end'.... these aren't any better than a QSC KW.

Quote Originally Posted by BillESC View Post
KV2 makes a great product, but again, I'm worried about service time.

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by dennis a

View Post

I recently saw an outdoor show (5k-7k people) that used a reasonably compact d&b AudioTechnik line-array rig (5 box j-hang per side), and the sound was superb. I'm not certain which model it was, but it was either the J-series, or the V series. Very compact.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by oldschooler View Post
Then Meyer might be an issue for you. As far as I know, all repairs are done in house on the West Coast which means shipping time might be 2 weeks alone back and forth.
On the other-hand, I'd suspect the failure rate is likely pretty much zip when operated within the factory recommendations.

Maybe somewhat like a story I heard concerning Rolls-Royce motorcars, where-in the hood latch of new cars are tag-sealed by the dealer... reason being is that RR figures that whatever needs done under the bonnet during the full service included warranty peroid of the vehicle... the customer shouldn't have any reason to go mucking around with that stuff (under the hood).

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by Bobby1Note

View Post

I haven't heard the Meyer UPA's, but I did hear very briefly the Meyer UP juniors, and I was completely smitten by the clarity and musicality of that box. Let me put this more succinctly, so there's no confusion;,,,, I was fuckin' blown away.smile.gif

I haven't heard the juniors .... just the UPA's .... and .... I agree wink.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Dookietwo View Post
I found a price list on line and most in the H line are in the $6000-$6500 range. I'm not even sure if the H line is powered. Down from there in the $2000 to $3000
Alot of money.

http://www.vueaudio.com/wp-content/u...ist-AUG008.pdf

Dookietwo
Nice looking stuff but with EAW kf300's going used for under a grand...........................

Archived