The deeper the Box...the more bass?

• Members

I would think that as long as it's tuned for the driver that's installed, the biggest difference might be efficiency. Small boxes tend to be less efficient in the lower frequencies. That said I've got a couple of EV ZX1A Subs that sound great and come very close to the output levels of the Yamaha single 18" boxes. Takes more power but they are much easier to haul around. (Less than 50 pounds and a 700 watt amp built in.) The A-7 Altec Lansings were a single 15" speaker in a very large box. Wasn't deeper sounding, but with 50 watts RMS they would get uncomfortably loud. One band I knew in the early 70s used 4 of them for PA for the entire band. (And a 200 watt amp.) They were enough for an outdoor gig of 1000+ University students. (If you don't believe me, I don't care. I was there, the sound was great and I knew they were using a McIntosh 2100 amp for their PA system. They also used a Shure vocal master as their side fill monitors.) Back then there weren't subs. (Or so rarely used that no one expected them. Now days everyone thinks that Subs are the only thing that make sound worthwhile. I still don't buy it. If your drummer needs subs to sound good, why doesn't he purchase them?)

• Members

WynnD wrote:

the early 70s

Back then there weren't subs. 

Now days everyone thinks that Subs are the only thing that make sound worthwhile. I still don't buy it.

Personally, I prefer the pre-sub "bi-amp" sound, and the corrisponding music.  But... I'm of the impression that mainstream music has generally changed (MOL happened during the '70's)... from "lead bass" to "lead kick drum" driving the bottom-end.  I don't know if it was the change of technology that enabled the change in music style, or changes in music style that drove the change in technology?

• Members

Larger boxes will extend the bottom range of the speaker but it will also decrease the amount of power it will handle before it reaches it's excursion limits. 

There are diminishing returns and tradeoffs with all the various designs and you can't break Hoffmans law. 

• Members

The size of the box DOES matter in a vented design and must be bigger for sub 40hz.

You have sealed boxes.

You have vented boxes.

You have horn loaded boxes.

You have Bass horn boxes.

All four are different animals.

Stunningbabe you might want to simply research subwoofer DIY and designs.

Go to a forum like Bill Fitzmaruice and read on.

http://billfitzmaurice.info/forum/

• Members

jonthomas wrote:

Larger boxes will extend the bottom range of the speaker but it will also decrease the amount of power it will handle before it reaches it's excursion limits. 

There are diminishing returns and tradeoffs with all the various designs and you can't break Hoffmans law. 

Certainly not with a properly designed enclosure and driver.

Generally, there is a tradeoff between low frequency extension, enclosure size, driver design, power handling and efficiency.

Depth only factors into the equation where it applies to internal volume. Do depth by itself matters very little.

• Members

For a given speaker ... box internal volume, low frequency cutoff and efficiency are intimately related.  When you define tow of thee factors then the third will come along automatically.

So yes ... increasing the box size offers the opportunity to lower the low frequency cutoff or increase the efficiency or both.

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

The size of the box DOES matter in a vented design and must be bigger for sub 40hz.

You have sealed boxes.

You have vented boxes.

You have horn loaded boxes.

You have Bass horn boxes.

All four are different animals.

Stunningbabe you might want to simply research subwoofer DIY and designs.

Go to a forum like Bill Fitzmaruice and read on.

I always wondered if those DIYer's could hang with the factory made cabs.

• Members

There were bass bins in the 70's.  I remember those heavy, hefty folded horn jobs back in the 70's.  They were so clunky and cumbersome, it took 4 us us to get them up a spiral staircase along with a Hammond B3 and Leslie.  That was one of the hardest gigs, ever.  But the system sounded real good.  I forgot what we used for tops but the output was tremendous.  We used this system for auditorium sized gigs.  I think eventually the sound company moved to Community speakers and they sounded pretty good, too.

Archived