Hearing and whistles

• Members

Hello folks,

had a gig a while back where we were stuck with the rider at audience level and had to be near a table.  (Preferably not) anyway, there was this person who wouldn't stop whistling, as a matter of did it on  purpose just because, I don't know why.   But whistling and my ears are like water & oil.  I wanted to belt this person of (opposite sex) but I refrained.  My partner asked her real nicely several times to stop but she proceeded to do her torture even more.  I didn't really want to bother management but I should have.  This person was also a friend of the drummer in the band, so I also refrained because for that reason, too.  What do you do in that situation?  I had to walk away from the board several times just to get some fresh air, otherwise I might have puked all over the place.  Thanks

• Members

Invite her up on stage to whistle. If she does she will probably get booed. If she doesn't she will probably feel humiliated. Bring her and her whistle to everybody's attention. Ask her name over the mic and where she learned to annoy people with that whistle. Have some fun with her.

• Members

I might have made a comment to the band between sets, " I could probably get a better FOH mix if my ears could recover from all of the whisteling while your performing".

The same can be said about smoking.  I don't smoke.  And I really hate breathing in the second hand smoke.  Ohio is smoke free in public places and has been for a few years now.  I have grown very intolerant of smoke.  When I travel to Kentucky, even the non-smoking sections of the restaurant bother me now.

• Members

DBR013 wrote:

Hello folks,

had a gig a while back where we were stuck with the rider at audience level and had to be near a table.  (Preferably not) anyway, there was this person who wouldn't stop whistling, as a matter of did it on  purpose just because, I don't know why.   But whistling and my ears are like water & oil.  I wanted to belt this person of (opposite sex) but I refrained.  My partner asked her real nicely several times to stop but she proceeded to do her torture even more.  I didn't really want to bother management but I should have.  This person was also a friend of the drummer in the band, so I also refrained because for that reason, too.  What do you do in that situation?  I had to walk away from the board several times just to get some fresh air, otherwise I might have puked all over the place.  Thanks

I think you're referring to the loud piercing 'wolf whistle', right?  Usually done with applause at the end of songs.  This is one of my worst pet peeves mixing at shows, and for some reason the frequency is like an ice pick through my ears into my brain.  I usually politely ask anyone within range doing this to stop, explaining that it causes me to think 'feedback' is occuring on stage.  This usually stops it, or at least cuts it way down. For your show, if it was a friend of the band, I'd definitely ask the band to have a word with that person. 

But the bottom line is, it comes with the territory. I have never asked management to do something, so I'm not sure what the response would be. Most of the shows I do are where I am working for the venue, and not the band, so I think they would probably back me up if I asked them to 'have a word' with the offending patron. 

• Members

What a bitch.

Tell her boyfriend/drummer sometime that its really annoying. I would definitely put In earplugs and blame the mix on her.

Maybe bring an air horn next time and give it a quick blast every time she whistles

:D

Archived