Mixing subs

• Members

I've been eyeing the same ones. Offer 1200.

I have yet to need a second pair. Im doing grad in our local arena, and I'm going to center cluster 4 LS800p's.

But that's the first time ill use 4 ever. I've been debating those subs for awhile. But for how little I'd use 2 pair, I'm just going to rent them.

Pick them up, you won't regret it!!

• Members

The LS1004 are a great sounding sub. I've heard the 1004's and the LS800P's separately in the same venue, but not together. This was a school dance, operated by MuchMusic,,, the TV people.Overall output-level  was about the same, but the 1004's sounded much better at that gig. In both instances, they were deployed very differently, and also, dialed in very differently. (two different sub-contractor crews).

The 1004's were laying on their sides, on an elevated stage, roughly 15-20 feet apart, and roughly 4-6 feet from the front edge of the stage. We discussed this set-up here at HC, roughly 4 years ago. and some observed that there might have been a boundary-cancellation effect coming into play, due to that particular placement. Whatever it was, they sounded AMAAAAZING. Tight, articulate, hard-hitting, and very well balanced.

The crew using the 800P's used a different set-up, and placed the LS800P's roughly 20-25 feet apart, on the floor. These guys didn't seem as picky about blending the overall mix, so I don't know that I would blame the subs directly, but the subs sounded very boomy at that gig, I suspect that also had a lot to do with how they had them dialed in.

Both crews used the same amplification, and the same tops (Yorkville Elite E-2152's), but the crew with the LS1004's just had that whole rig dialed-in to perfection, while the guys with the LS 800P's, didn't dial in the tops very well either.

I've got the LS801P's, and it's amazing how you can change the character and tone of that sub, with just a few knob twists, so it would be unfair to categorize them as having one particular sound. I'm not a fan of deep, flubby-sounding hip-hop style subs. I generally dial-in my LS801P's for a very tight/ punchy sound, or whatever is required by the different music genres..(rock,jazz,acoustic) By sweeping the Lo-pass filter, I can match them to any number of tops, whether it's my U15P's, EF500PB's, or NX-55P's. I find the LS801P's very flexible in that regard, and the output is can be brutal if need be.

• Members

Generally, mixing a horn loaded with a front loaded speaker causes problems because of both raw delay and from a different phase response (versus frequency) that can not be corrected by delay.

Will it make noise... yes... but there may be issues that cause you to wish you hadn't gone the mixed cabinet type route.

• Members

stangconv wrote:

Aged I know what everyone of those words mean individually, but man is your intelligence ever way above mine

30 years of designing this stuff commercially will do that.

It means that if you place the two cabinets side by side and adjust for raw delay between them, there will still be a varying component of delay (that translates to shifting phase) that can not be compensated for. It may or may not be a problem. I think it may.

• Members

That still doesn't make sence to me... Add delay the processed tops (that already has some amount of group delay inherent in the system) to better align to a passive sub with no inherent delay (i.e. purely from an impulse response, the subs will be ahead of the tops already).

It would make a more sence to me if the subs were fed from the tops, and the delay was for sub compensation, but that is clearly not the case.

• Members

The grouping of different subs together sounds like a typical Yorkville courtesy feature.  A close enough for Jazz sort of thing.  I reckon their theory is that if you're knowledgeable enough to spot the flaws in the group delay you will be knowledgeable enough to calculate your own tops delay using an external processor. 

They probably figure, a few different generic global delays might be better than nothing at all.  and maybe better than too many choices. After all, it would seem that a large part of their market is rentals, by band noobs, DJ's and other folks that might not spend their spare time reading tech specs. Not that I've ever done that!

• Members

stangconv wrote:

So what's it all mean basil?

It means that you should contact Yorkville, and ask for a clarification .:smileyhappy: They're usually very quick at getting back to you, typically within 24 hours, sometimes, even on weekends. I've had Mike Holman, from Yorkvilles' Canada customer service, email me on a Sunday.

According to the manual I linked to earlier, there is no difference between the LS1004 and the LS801P, as far as time-alignment is concerned,,, which doesn't mean they'll sound the same. The LS801P however, is very flexible in how you can "shape" the sound. The lo-pass filter is sweepable between 90-150Hz, and you also have  a sweepable "shape" control, which allows you to completely change the "tone" of the sub. You can dial it in from a very LF sound, to a very tight/ punchy (and very loud) tone. Theoretically, this would allow some flexibility in matching the tone of the two subs,,, more so than you would with mis-matched subs that don't have that capability.

Archived