3 way monitors ?

• Members

It seems like 3-way (typically bi-amped or tri-amped) monitors used to be somewhat "popular" as drum monitors... and sometimes keyboard monitors... for the heavy hitters anyway.  I ran a JBL 4699B (18", 10", 1") for a few years as a drum monitor in the system... which seemed to pass rider requirements at the time (20 - 25 years ago).

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

I'm guessing footprint is the main drawback........................anything else?

Crossovers and crossover points are always a drawback.  After all ... the perfect speaker would be a single full-range one.  Unfortunately that driver doesn't yet exist (that has much output level).  More "ways" is a tradeoff.

• Members

I owned a pair of three way monitors - for a while - they were custom - hand made - and awesome.  It was supposed to be some old monitors from a Judds Tour.  They were some heavy duty boxes - with castors - and clamping on lids that were operated by a recessed 3/8" allen wrench.  They required an outboard crossover - and separate power amp.  Sounded fu*king great!!  - But huge - and super heavy.  I couldn't sell them (of course) so about a year after I went to a lighter powered system - I just gave them back to the guy I had bought them from who looked at me like - "what am I supposed to do with these???".  (But at least I could park in my garage again.)

I had been using them for front cabinets - and it took four NX 550P Powered Yorkville Speakers to do the same job - but people said the Yorkies sounded just as good.

Archived