RCF 310A Panic!

• Members

I had a gig last night where we couldn't load-in until abot 1-1/4 hours before curtain - they had to clear and move the tables first facepalm.gif. Anyways it wasn't that cold but the first 310A I powered up took a bit longer to come out of protec than I'm used to but came on-line fine. The second wouldn't come out of protect eek.gif  - I figured my abuse of these poor little guys finally caught up with me frown.gif. I ended up leaving it on while I ran home for another cab - as this venue is only 1/2 mile from home I didn't pack spares. When I got back the top had come out of protect so a wasted trip and time lost - I usually like to start loading in at least two hours before soundcheck. I'm guessing that taking those tops from outside and immediately powering them up was a bad idea, I like to let them warm up for an hour. I'm glad they were designed not to burn up under that abuse - kudos to RCF smile.gif !

Anyways I threw out three monitors on one mix, three vocal mics and a kick mic (no hole and a hard rock group = freak.gif) and went live no soundcheck. One guitarist who uses an emulator had thrown me a line and I mic'd the other guitar amp while they played so we were good to go. It was a smaller venue and the kit was loud enough un-miked that it was hard to get the vocals over it and still keep it down for the last set until the dinner crowd left freak.gif as requested by the venue. Later with the 310A's tickling the limiters I still never felt the need for more drum mics - I usually at least hang an overhead.

Oh, and I used my 4 ohm GB 212MBE bass cabs as subs with just the break music and kick in them - the NU3000 driving them wasn't anywhere near limiting and they sounded fine (34 lb 2x12 neo cabs, I carried them both in at once just because I could love.gif). I do need to put tophats on them so I don't need to use stands - it was WAY crowded in there freak.gif.

• Members

Art Flood wrote:

I really hate though rushed events never did like flying by the seat of my pants. Even when I have plenty of time, I never can relax until everything is powered up and working.

I like to start loading in an hour before the band arrives so we don't end up tripping over each other. In this case we were tripping over the staff moving the tables too and there was no place to lay out the gear (cable bags and such) except on the open porch outside where it ended up getting snowed on freak.gif.

How cold was it?

It was above freezing so I'm particularly surprised the cabs were freaking out frown.gif.

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

You sure you had good AC?

Reverse Hot Neutral?

I have loaded in gear from mighty cold weather and have not experienced what you did ever.

The outlet I first plugged the "bad" cab into was loosy-goosy but I swapped cabs and the same one was "dead" on the other power. Once everything came up I had no problems in the show.

• Members

RoadRanger wrote:

Oh, and I used my 4 ohm GB 212MBE bass cabs as subs with just the break music and kick in them - the NU3000 driving them wasn't anywhere near limiting and they sounded fine (34 lb 2x12 neo cabs, I carried them both in at once just because I could 
love.gif
). I do need to put tophats on them so I don't need to use stands - it was WAY crowded in there 
freak.gif

Might not be a bad idea to beef up those cabs a bit before mounting speakers on them. 

Maybe good to add some more bracing inside anyways, and add an angle to the little cross brace going from between the speakers to the back of the cab; they

• Members

Marko wrote:

Might not be a bad idea to beef up those cabs a bit before mounting speakers on them. 

I'll have a look-see inside when I pull a driver to mount the tophat. I'll use a backing plate for the tophat too as the wood is a bit thin. My tops are 27.5 lbs, I'd not want to go any heavier!

Archived