yamaha dxr 12 or rcf hd 12a

• Members

The HD-12A is a pretty nice speaker, about 2x the maximum output (3dB greater) than the DXR in practice. That said, no way two of them would be suitable for 1000 people in any band configuration that I can think of. I would think 3 tops per side over 3 subs per side is about the minimum to cover 1000 people outside adequately and that would be pushing it IMO. Of course, it depends on the type of music as well as the necessary volume.

• Members

What is a kudos? I was trying to do a quote, oh well.

Just read you have the DXR, Thinking it was a DSR. The next level ain't cheap. As Al mentioned, depends on your music, crowd and coverage area.

1000 screaming-jumping teenage girls in front of the Foo Fighters vs a dualing banjo group. Stage front coverage or walk by peeps at something like a car show.

• Members

One of the things I love about outdoor festivals is that my ears don't usually get bombarded by 110+ db sound and it usually only takes a few steps back to get to a nice listening level. (I like 90-95 for rock and roll. Really!) If the crowd is hanging back, the sound could probably drop some too. If the crowd is sitting in the direct sunlight on a hot day where the sound is about 90 dbc and a couple of people are standing in the shade where the sound is 115 dbc, sort of suggests that most don't want to listen to the music at the higher volume. (And I try to never pay attention to the drunk who shouts turn it up. I won't let them drive my car either.) On the other hand, I never did hear any of the dialog when I went to see the movie Help. (The Beatles film. Girls wouldn't stop screaming through the entire film. I doubt that raising the movie's volume would have helped. Maybe taking it down to a whisper would have gotten them to shut up. Not likely. That was clearly a different age.)

• Members

doscher222 wrote:

Sorry Al, there are no drums . It's a trio .. Bass guitar ,acoustic guitar and hand percussion.

We don't use subs . Out door shows will be in a field about 100 feet wide by 260 deep is the main area

So, no bass in the PA, even outdoors? How big a rig does the bass player have?

• Members

doscher222 wrote:

We have been running the bass thru the tops and it sounds good minus the super lows

I'd suspect that ain't a gonna work out so well outdoors for 1000. AFAIK I'm the one here that has covered a crowd that size with the least rig and I had a pair of 127 db tops over a pair of 137 db subs. The tops were pretty solid in the red - not recommended. A pair of DXR12's (or single DSR112) over a serious 2x18 sub per side might do fine for your type of music outdoors - maybe you can rent a pair of SRX728S with an amp and crossover just for the big outdoor gigs?

• Members

doscher222 wrote:

Sorry Al, there are no drums . It's a trio .. Bass guitar ,acoustic guitar and hand percussion.

We don't use subs . Out door shows will be in a field about 100 feet wide by 260 deep is the main area

How many shows are you doing?

Buying gear to effectively cover that many people may not be worth it, l would look at rentals rom the local sound outfits or other bands in the area.

You will want to be able to compete with any wind or crowd noise,  "especially" if any beer is being served at the event. It is amazing how little rig I  need without booze in the equation.

If it is a respectful/sober crowd I have heard a pair of EV zxa5's cover an area of that size with that style of music. 

• Members

doscher222 wrote:

What is your budget?

I can't really give you an opinion without a budget, but I am going to do a little educated guess here that since you are looking into a "more powerful" 12" top, you are looking for a pair of speakers around $2000.00 for both.

If I am right, then the best you are going to do is to get a pair of subs to go with your tops.  The subs I would recommend are the PRX618S-XLF's which run around $1300.00 each.

My reasoning is this.  Your bass guitar is going to put lots of bottom into those 12" speakers.  The limit lights are going to come on because of this.  If you get the lows out of the tops, you will be able to get MUCH more volume out of your tops AND have a much better bottom as well.

You should also consider geting an additional pair of DXR12's for the top making your setup 4 DXR12's over 2 PRX618S-XLF's.  With no kick drum in the mix, this will put quite a bit of sound out.  If you are used to having a single pair of 12" tops, then just the subs alone will provide you with a huge step up in sound.

The guys here are correct that to cover an outside gig, you really need quite a bit of speakers.  For small outdoor gigs (100-200 people) I use 2 DSR112's, 2 CVA28's, 2 PRX 618S-XLFs and 2 CVA118's.  I play rock and have a full band, but that is about all I can cover outside without needing to rent more and better speakers.

That same rig can cover ~500 people inside.

Archived