Anyone using Odyssey Racks?

• Members

Hi All,

I will be setting up an amp rack for a friend and he wants to buy an Odyssey 12U rack on casters; have any of you ever used these or had a good look at one and have any feedback? It will have about 150 pounds of amps (3 QSC) plus the normal support gear for an amp rack.

I have never even seen them before so not sure how they compare to Gator, Anvil or Carvin which I have used; he can get it for about the same price as a non-caster Gator, just don't want him to end up with a rack that won't stand up and I know nothing about these.

Thanks,

Rob

• Members

Rob_H wrote:

Hi All,

I will be setting up an amp rack for a friend and he wants to buy an Odyssey 12U rack on casters; have any of you ever used these or had a good look at one and have any feedback? It will have about 150 pounds of amps (3 QSC) plus the normal support gear for an amp rack.

I have never even seen them before so not sure how they compare to Gator, Anvil or Carvin which I have used; he can get it for about the same price as a non-caster Gator, just don't want him to end up with a rack that won't stand up and I know nothing about these.

Thanks,

Rob

My opinion is, Odyssey is a mid quality case company and there stuff is adequate. Get the part number of your friends order and search it on their website....there should be a photo and specs 

• Members

I have seen some that are particle board and/or MDF as well, be absolutely sure of what you get, the fine print is critical in this area. I have also seen some with 1/4" plywood used for a mixer case... way too flimsy to be good for protection.

• Members

I have four or five of them. They are fine for local usage. I had my upright mixer case with 01v96 in the top and 6 rackspaces of gear under it fall over on my ramp and nothing was damaged at all. I would not trust them if lots of people will be moving them or if you are touring.

If I had it to do over and had bought all new cases instead of getting used/good deals on them I might have gone higher up the food chain. Cases are truly where you get what you pay for. If the gear in them doesn't work on arrival, the show may not happen so don't get less than you need. However, sometimes a decent local case is all you need.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Is it ironic that they always wrap an ATA shipping case with packaging to go to its destination.

;)

Well... well, well, well...

You'd be surprised how many folks seemingly use ATA shipping cases for furniture... or ??? you name it... all kinds of applications, and some/many want their cases to arrive on their doorstep in absolutely pristine condition.  Others think it's stupid to pay the extra shipping costs for the weight and dimensional addition of the cardboard packaging to ship a "reusable shipping carton" (which is what a ATA shipping case is defined to be) in packaging so it will arrive without a shipping inflicted cosmetic defect.

Archived