I need opinions on PA options. - UPDATE 3/22, Both PRX612M are defective

• Members

Kind of curious as to why you haven't pulled the trigger on either the JBL's or the QSC's. Either would suit your purposes. Unless you have your hearts set on the FBT's. . One thing to keep in mind when mixing brands is that the internal processing may be set differently. If the subs and the tops crossover points are different you may get a small hole in the freq's. I remember when the QSC HPR line came out that they would not sound right when mixerd with the JBL PRX subs, It was either the crossover point or the delay in the processing.

• Members

Thanks again for your thoughts guys. To answer a few questions:

-I originally wanted the FBT due to the small size. I thought it would look good and be unobtrusive in the settings we will be playing. Additionally, Abzurd already has his hands on the same setup and has been using it for wedding gigs which are probably louder than what we will be doing.

-I could easily bump the budget up to $4K. Actually, if I rent and wait for the FBT to show up, it will cost me about $4K in the end (provided the FBT stuff actually shows up on the now revised due date). I don't really have anything to sell off, the RCF 312 we have are for monitor purposes. We love them and if we sell them I can't imagine finding anything cheaper that will replace them.

-I don't have to go with the same brand I guess, I was just thinking the internal processing of these powered boxes was designed to work the best when paired with the same brand.

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

The tiny line array system looks a wee bit on the "tiny" side for a full electric band with drums.

Ease your stress and go with the RCF setup and get the gear and get it all setup and thru a test run.

I know it's hard to believe, but it's not. I own 312A's, 705-AS subs and a Vertus system (and waiting on a second).

So here's the thing. The Vertus subs are so close in output to the RCF subs that I can't tell you which is "louder". The crazy thing is, at 1/2 the size and weight, the FBT subs sound noticeably better. The RCF subs are band pass and kind of a one note wonder (which I never really noticed how much so until the FBT's).

Now the Vertus tops are just different. They aren't the easiest thing to implement and get even coverage and we have been running them pretty hard (but still not on the "Max SPL" DSP setting). I've ordered a second set as much for coverage in different situations as anything else. I've always had a viable way to double up the system, but they components were not identical. So I sold off some stuff and just went for a scalable setup.

Looking at your current situation, for availability, ease of implementation, and pretty much a guarantee you'll be happy, I'd go with the JBL PRX tops and XLF subs, which are better than the Vertus or RCF subs and, IMO the best deal going for portability and "big sound". While still relatively compact, they are larger than similar subs in their segment, so make sure have the extra room to transport them.

And, as mentioned, the RCF 312A over  the JBL subs would work too and cost less. It also gives you the benefit of redudancy with "same model" cabinets. Cheaper still would be 310A's as monitors and move the 312A's to tops. We use 310A's as monitors and they've been the perfect blend of sound and size and weight. They are also viable FOH cabinets over subs and just overall an excellent value speaker. Just some additional ideas.

• Members

vaughn4380 wrote:

Thanks again for your thoughts guys. To answer a few questions:

-I don't have to go with the same brand I guess, I was just thinking the internal processing of these powered boxes was designed to work the best when paired with the same brand.

I think this is a VERY good reason for staying with matched products. In the case of the PRX, it's a know good preformer all around.

• Members

Checked the fly points, everything was snug. Still getting a rattle, it sounds like it is coming from behind the grill around the tweeter area. Pushing in on the grill does not stop it.

The other 612M started working tonight, it still has the horrible static but at least was passing sound. With the bass guitar playing through it there was no rattle and it really handled the bass well, I was impressed. So I just happened to get lucky enough to get two lemons.

Archived