Worth it to upgrade?

• Members

My current pa has been fine for acoustic music. I used mackie passives, old c300's. Basically non powered 450's. and I use an 808s powered mixer.

So, for whatever the reason(G.A.S. I assume) I really would like to try the prx line, or some k12's. I have no way of demoing any powered speakers here, so it's really just a shot in the dark. I don't plan on expanding to rock band status either.

So for what I need them for, and need being a loose term. What can I realistically expect from a new set of powered mains in this range. I don't need to be blasting heads off people with them, so volume wise I'm still currently fine for where I play. I guess I want to know how much difference I will notice in terms of quality of sound for my application.

• Members

The active crossovers and bi-amplification/limiters built into the powered speakers should allow them to get louder with less distortion. I have only used the powered SRM350/450's and they would have benefited from ample EQing that I did not have at the time.

The sound quality at low volumes might not be great enough to justify a upgrade. especially  If  your old Mackies have the good RCF drivers in them.

Archived