Different way of doing a drum monitor?

• Members

Say I don't have any spare auxes or amps (or whatever reason) what would be the disadvantages of running a satellite cabinet off the bass amp as a drum monitor. This is assuming of course that I'm not overloading the bass amp and the bass player is agreeable. Obviously this only sends the bass players signal to the drummer but I've had drummers request that. I have 10 auxes on my board so don't see this as a real problem....................just wondering. 

• Members

Since this is a hypothetical question, I'll suggest you put the hypothetical bass player right next to the drummer on the hi-hat side. No extra cabinet needed. If the imaginary bass player is shy and will only play backstage then use a powered monitor and DI his bass signal to that imaginary monitor.

• Members

I run a second amp for the drummer and let him fill his boots with volume and tone...nothing fancy, just an Ashly PB1 with an ancient Fostex power amp and a Hartke 410 XL. I only went this way because it was old gear sitting around the basement that didn't cost me a dime...if I had to buy something it would be the same approach with a small combo bass amp so again, the drummer can do what he wants to be happy without me having to change what I am doing.

Another drummer who's band I sit in with once in a while has one of those SWR wedge combo bass amps that he really likes (and didn't have a problem buying for himself).

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

...what would be the disadvantages of running a satellite cabinet off the bass amp as a drum monitor...

The biggest disadvantage is a lack of control. Unless you use an inline attenuator (Power Brake), the drummer will end up with what-ever the full stage volume of the bass player is. Depending on the bass player, this could be a major problem.

• Members

Sometimes it takes quite a bit. I use an old pair of peavey compact 18s and some homemade 15 and horn tops. Biamped. The compact 18s are a bandpass box and they thump pretty good up close and somewhat small. I also have an old set of peavey sp2X speakers that I'll stack one on top of the other when I don't want to lug or bother biamping. They work fine as well. Wally Setup 05 drum monitor.JPGWally Setup 09 Drum monitor.JPG

• Members

Dookietwo wrote:

Sometimes it takes quite a bit. I use an old pair of peavey compact 18s and some homemade 15 and horn tops. Biamped. The compact 18s are a bandpass box and they thump pretty good up close and somewhat small. I also have an old set of peavey sp2X speakers that I'll stack one on top of the other when I don't want to lug or bother biamping. They work fine as well.
Wally Setup 05 drum monitor.JPGWally Setup 09 Drum monitor.JPG

Whoa, that's more than we use per side on our FOH! Stage volume issues?

Archived