Found some test data on Behringers INUKE

• Members

Interesting. Can anybody translate what's going on with the Behringer's power supply?

I know that for a non-linear power factor, the voltage and current draw curves do not align. I don't understand how the amp could be drawing 80A without tripping the internal 12A breaker or the breaker in the panel.

• Members

Thanks for sharing,

That thread was awesome! Interesting to see the data presented objectively...Viktor over there is obviously not a B fan, but loved his comparison to the design not even meeting low level automotive standards. It is pretty unfair to be comparing a $400 amp to a $2000 PKN though, but his rants were entertaining any way.

I was surprised a little at some of the blunders internally on the KAM with the twist ties holding the top board in (seriously?), air movement over the caps etc, made me want to rip the lids off one of my CPX amps which I will do over the weekend and share some pics. I hadn't even heard of the KAM brand before, not sure if they sell in North America or if it is more of a European thing, or maybe it is just in a different price range than I ever look in.

• Members

wesg wrote:

Interesting. Can anybody translate what's going on with the Behringer's power supply?

I know that for a non-linear power factor, the voltage and current draw curves do not align. I don't understand how the amp could be drawing 80A without tripping the internal 12A breaker or the breaker in the panel.

The CB's are thermal, meaning that they respond to average current versus time not peak current and not instantaneously.

Now for seafety reasons, the CB's are sized to approx. 125% of the rated 1/8-power figure generally (though this is not an absolute). If you were to drive rated power at 4 ohms or 2 ohms for more than a very short time, they would open.

• Members

I found another really interesting thread over there, link is below. It is long, at 93 pages, but it really opened my eyes on a couple of fronts; first how prevalent knock off gear really is out there and second what disasters may be waiting inside a used amp purchase. I found a lot of great info in it, thanks again for sharing the original link.

http://forum.speakerplans.com/amp-internals-2_topic44897_page1.html

Archived