X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rob_H
    started a topic Aux Sub Controlling

Aux Sub Controlling

Hi All,

Just curious how many of you are doing a seperate mix for your subs using one of your aux outs? Any pitfalls that you have encountered?

I am going to be trying this as on the surface, it looks like it makes a lot of sense from a system efficiency perspective, just wanted to know if there is anything to be aware of going into it. I like the idea of only assigning what I actually want going through the subs rather than everything on every channel that is below the crossover point getting there.

Thanks,

Rob

• agedhorse
    replied
    First of all, using a group does not give you proportional control of sub level on an input by input basis... The most valuable aspect of aux fed subs.

Second, you need to use identical crossovers when doing this. Filter implementation between different brands and even models is way too unpredictable to give reliable acoustic results.

It doesn't have to be that much more hassle, but setting up for a one-off date adds the need to set an additional sub aux mix.

If you don't have spare post fader auxs, that's a major obsticle.

Leave a comment:

• Don Davis
    replied

Since we use 6 of our 8 auxs for wedges and 2 for FX we use a group out for the sub feed. On the 01v96 I set the ratio of sub to tops using either program music or pink then link the main fader and group fader so they follow each other. Then assign what ever channel you wish to the group. Kind of a set and forget.

This has helped us tame a lot of LF build up on stage and standing wave poblems with one venue we do often. All this can be accompplished with crossover and EQ but I'm very happy with bus fed subs and only go back when I have no choice.

Leave a comment:

• StratGuy22
    replied
    Nope. I let my crossover do its job instead.

Leave a comment:

• Mogwix
    replied

1. uses up aux sends (2 for stereo)
    2. needs extra return lines on your snake
    3. takes longer to set up

If I have a spare post-fade aux and no hi-pass filters on my channel strips... I'll run aux subs. Otherwise, running an aux setup is a complete waste of time because you accomplish exactly the same thing. Aux subs are great when you already have a full-range PA (such as a large array that's flat down to 60Hz without subs) and want to use the subwoofers as a low-frequency effect... but for 95% of what I do, the benefit does not outweigh the (admittedly small) effort required.

Leave a comment:

• Mutha Goose
    replied

Rob_H wrote:

I like the idea of only assigning what I actually want going through the subs rather than everything on every channel that is below the crossover point getting there.

The merits/draw-backs of aux-fed subs have been debated here many times (not sure if you can find them or not) and I am sure will be debated again with this post....

But I have to ask about the above statement: why? What do you see as the benefits of this?

Leave a comment:

• dboomer
    replied

Well it costs more and the hookup is a bit more complicated.  But once you've mastered that part there are a bunch of sonic benefits.

http://www.peavey.com/support/technotes/concepts/AUX_SUBs.pdf

Leave a comment:

Working...
X