A new mixer coming to town Roland M200i

• Members

Every time I see something that uses the iPad as a big part of it's user interface, I wonder if there isn't a more flexible solution...

since the device is already handling remote requests, why not have it handle requests via http, such that you'd go to mixer://interface on your local wifi and get a javascript/html interface that makes calls to the mixer... thus rendering the system device independent?

There are obvious problems with that, but I'd imagine that they are not that much greater to overcome than the normal issues with a comparable device specific implementations...

• Members

Another unit that is close but is missing things that would make it a home run...

4 graphics for output busses, but you can re-route from the master effects modules for additional ones giving up an effect. Kind of cumbersome to keep track of the way things are routed and where the control is.

16 mic channels on the console, to use the additional 16 mic channels you have to buy their digital snake system, so now you are running 2 snakes or buying a 32 x RRAC digital snake.

Not very rider friendly.

"Pretty" expensive if you need more than 16 mic channels.

• 4 months later...
  • Members

I agree that they have done an amazing job. The app for the iPad is so smooth & has great mixing options and its simple to navigate!

There are many great videos on youtube that show off the desk for anyone freshly reading about this.

Short, simple and sweet demo - 

Longer more indepth - 

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

Another unit that is close but is missing things that would make it a home run...

4 graphics for output busses, but you can re-route from the master effects modules for additional ones giving up an effect. Kind of cumbersome to keep track of the way things are routed and where the control is.

16 mic channels on the console, to use the additional 16 mic channels you have to buy their digital snake system, so now you are running 2 snakes or buying a 32 x RRAC digital snake.

Not very rider friendly.

"Pretty" expensive if you need more than 16 mic channels.

Seems quite a bit more expensive than the X32 version (X32 Producer) while lacking the built in color LCD screen of the X32.

I am wondering about Behringers durability still.  Rumor has it that the Behringer 3 year warranty does not cover the motorized faders which are only covered for 1 year.  If I end up with the X32 rack, I guess I wont have to worry about this part of the warranty, but still, it seems like a bit of a cop out.

I like that the Roland has dedicated faders for all 16 input channels (at least that is what it looked like to me).

I think that this unit is going to be hard pressed to compete with the X32 producer which appears to have more features and better expandability while being $1500.00 more expensive (rack mount 16 channel mixer comparison).  In fact, this mixer is $500.00 more expensive than the X32 32 channel version.

It is too early in the release cycle of the Roland to make any final judgements, but the Behringer interface for both MIDI and ethernet protocols are open so that 3rd party companies/people can make tools to interface with them while it appears that Roland has linked its future to the iPad ..... which version is unclear at this time.

In order to have full disclosure here, I would like to let everyone know I am not an Apple fan.  The idea of a closed architecture really churns my stomach and makes me nervous.

I have less of an issue tying myself to an ethernet interface since this standard is so widely supported by so many devices.

Archived