Speakon splitter

• Members

Does anybody know of a splitter box for Speakons? I have patch panels in my racks that are wired to use four conductor wire. They send the signal for the tops on +1/-1 and the subs on +2/-2. But recently I have been working in a club that has their own subs (which do a far better job than my own in this venue) that are wired for +1/-1. In order for this to work, I have temporarily added a pair of jacks to the back of the rack (one of the output jacks on the back of the amp is damaged and will not allow a connection and I already had the connectors, so I connected them to the +1/-1 binding posts of the sub amp) and have to run an additional pair of wires to the stacks. I'm wondering about a box that would be like one four wire jack in and two two wire jacks out that I could place at the speaker stacks and thus reduce the amount of wire I have strung out. Or is this just a bad idea all around?

• Members

A friend of mine built me a plasic electrical box with a SpeakOn jack on each side. One takes a four wire two channel "in", one is channel 1, another is channel 2 inverted, and the fourth is the bridged output. My sub amp is always in bridge mode hence the need to run channel 2 inverted if I want the subs non-bridged (which is how I normally run).

box.jpg

• Members

I have some of the cable-cubes that I bought when they first started business. In fact I believe I was the first US customer. They have held up just fine for several years of use.

I started out with EAW subs, so got used to the notion that the subs should use the 2+/2- conductors of an NL4 cable, and that is the way I have always routed my system cabling. Using the cable cubes I could break out 8 conductor cable for two bi-amped tops a side, then run NL4 for subs + a passive outfill cabinet per side. If I had the amp capacity for lower impedance on the tops I could run the whole rig on one NL8 cable a side.

If I were running a passive top over EAW subs for a smaller room, then using 4 conductor cable and 2+/2- for the sub means I just jump from a sub to the top with a 2 conductor cable wired to the 1+/1- terminals.

Archived