• Members

megabass wrote:

Has anyone gigged with, demo'd, or tried the new Mackie DLM speaker system. We demo'd one this weekend at a gig, and I was blown away by this system. small, lightweight, and studio quality sound. This is seriously making me rethink our entire setup.

If it's loud enough for you, great smile.gif . I'd need three or four of them little subs per side to equal my Danley TH-Mini's. I don't think the DLM12 tops have anything over a less expensive pair of RCF 310A's except a lot of optional DSP crap you shouldn't need anyways. 

• Members

Which begs the following question..... What on earth are you using currently that has the Mackie sounding so much better? Honestly, you must have a pretty attrocious sound going on to be "blown away" by a middle of the road MI quality powered speaker. I mean I'm sure they are fine and can be made to sound good for the intended application, but I just don't see being "blown away" if you're using anything respectble currently.

• Members

megabass wrote:

Has anyone gigged with, demo'd, or tried the new Mackie DLM speaker system. We demo'd one this weekend at a gig, and I was blown away by this system. small, lightweight, and studio quality sound. This is seriously making me rethink our entire setup.

There are some really impressive active speaker systems out there now.  If you haven't heard them, I would encourage you to go compare them all.

• Members

I know that it has been a while, but how quickly we forget. No just kidding. Anyway, we are using RCF-722's on the top and PRX-618XLF's on the bottom. Now I am not saying that the Mackies sound better than what we are using. I am just saying that they sound damn good for the size and portability. Most of the time we only use (1) PRX. That is more than enough for most venues we play, because I never run my bass through the PA, so the only low end is the the kick drum. I think that two of the DSM12's could handle that duty. Plus, the entire Mackie setup can fit in the back of A Prius. Only problem is that it is ridiculously expensive.

• Members

Not defending Mackie, but overdue updates aren't, by themselves, a reason for alarm. Marketing departments are notoriously disconnected to the real world and lobby to get the the news out way ahead of time. Presonus does the same thing with updates lagging months after the buzz. The difference is they don't publish an actual date. Still the effect is the same. You read the enhancements that are coming and see the video demos and suddenly they become "must haves" and you can't possibly wait. Heck, I'm pretty sure the StudioLive mixer was unveiled for the first time at a German trade show a full year before it actually made it to market.

• Members

Maybe it is just a transition thing. In any case, I am NOT ready to spend any more money on anything. The 722's are awesome, but some lighter subs would be nice. Obviously, something from RCF would work best. Maybe a single 902as, but $1700 for a single sub.....................I don't think so.

• Members

So... the 722's are a higher end speaker than the DLM 12, but how do they compare?  Did you like the vocal quality as much? Did you have to apply much eq to get the sound you wanted?  Is it boxy sounding at all (the box just seems too small).  Is it enough of a draw that if you had the DLM 12 you'd probably leave the 722s at home because of the convenience factor?

Archived