Yorkville TX9s subs

• Members

I just came across a deal for the Yorkville TX9s subwoofers,,, $1199./box. Regular selling price seems to average $1999./box. I've lusted for these subs for the last two years, but the lack of local availability, and affordability of a "complete" package, (including power-amp/processor), has steered me away. At this price however, I'm tempted to go for it.

Aside from the outstanding performance of these subs, is the fact that they're 51" tall. That's perfect for mounting my U15P's on top,,, which is something I can not do with my LS801P's (32" tall).

That said, I'm wondering about an amp and possibly a processor for these subs. Last year, my dealer had told me he'd have a used/re-furbed Crown I-Tech 8000(???) available, but that didn't materialize, and was one of the main reasons why I decided to go with the LS801P's.

Yorkville recommends the AP6040 power-amp with the TX9s. The price is roughly $1800. but it's VERY heavy. I'll start looking for a used I-Tech, but in the meaantime, is there something else I should be considering? I really haven't followed the developement of lighter/cheaper amps over the last few years, since all of my boxes are active.

I had told myself, "no mo' gear this year", but this is really tempting.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I was powering them with a PLX3602 when I used them. Worked well. Some on here have been saying the peavey IPR amps are good but I've never used them before.

We just got a pile of Crest CC4000's, which have been working great. They're heavy, though.

• Members

Mogwix,

Have you come across the VTC NS9 subs? My understanding is that VTC is Yorkvilles' hi-emd line-up, and I'm wondering what the difference is between the VTC NS9 sub-woofer, and the Yorkville TX9s. Physically, the specs are identical. I'm wondering if the VTC boxes have better drivers and/or processing.

• Members

StratGuy,

Right now, my U15P's are just sitting on top of the LS801P's. I haven't taken any gear "out" for a whike now, so that's not been an issue, but yeah, the extra height of the TX9s (19" taller) would sure come in handy to raise the HF/MF drivers above peoples' heads.

• Members

My A and B FOH rigs in my very local/small sound co. consist of Yorkville TX speakers.  I also use the appropriate Yorkville processors.  I am a fan of TX9s subs.  For club work and small applications I put one TX4 cab over one sub per side and the TX4 cab is at the perfect height. 

I use TX8 cabs over Tx9s subs for larger outdoor events but the TX8's are a bear to move.

I power the subs with an Itech6000 (one cab per channel) and all is well....an Itech4000 would probably do the job.

I have heard nothing but praise from my clients....

Mike M

• Members

Mike M wrote:

My A and B FOH rigs in my very local/small sound co. consist of Yorkville TX speakers.

have you heard any of the similar VTC boxes? they look identical to the TX series on paper, but I've yet to see any of them in practice.

I'm hoping to see more TX stuff on the used market for cheap, but over the past 5 years the price has stayed very steady. ie: high

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Sounds like a good deal. $1600 difference isn't much!!

Yep, plus I have my brand-new U15P's that I could sell. That would cover the difference, plus there'd be cash left over to buy the VTC DLMS 4080 (or other VTC) processor. Then,my LS801P's would be redundant, so I'd sell them and get the VTC V62 power-amp,,,, all with no additional cash out of my pocket. Sounds intriguing :smileyhappy:

• Members

Nice!! I'm able to break even with my gear so that's always a bonus. Did Ann my big moves last year, I'm quite happy with my U15's over LS800p's for my needs, they work well. Easy enough to double up with rentals when needed, and I get lots of compliments eveytime I bring them out to play.

;)

The only things I see PA-wise is a couple 906's some more Radial DI's and a few more odds n ends. I rent a pair of U15's as backup for critical shows, I might purchase another pair and delegate my current ones to backup duty. My FOH is 10 years old now and have served me well. I'll do the math and it might make sense to start cycling in new gear.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Nice!! I'm able to break even with my gear so that's always a bonus. Did Ann my big moves last year, I'm quite happy with my U15's over LS800p's for my needs, they work well. Easy enough to double up with rentals when needed, and I get lots of compliments eveytime I bring them out to play.

;)

The only things I see PA-wise is a couple 906's some more Radial DI's and a few more odds n ends. I rent a pair of U15's as backup for critical shows, I might purchase another pair and delegate my current ones to backup duty. My FOH is 10 years old now and have served me well. I'll do the math and it might make sense to start cycling in new gear.

If I decide to not go through with this purchase, I'll probably just stand pat for the remainder of this year. There's a lot of uncertainty over where I'm headed in the next few years. I had been hoping to move to the Annapolis Valley in Nova Scotia, but my girlfriend's now talking about moving here, to be closer to her daughters.

In the Annapolis Valley, I might be able to drum up a bit of business providing/renting gear for small local events, and frankly I'd be quite happy with that scenario. As far as I know, there are no local providers, or gear-rental locations in the area. As long as I can maintain some sort of involvment in the local music scene, all would be good. The people I've met, and those whom I've played with, have been great. You really don't need much of an excuse to have a musical get-together down there. :smileyhappy:.

• Members

Bobby1Note wrote:

I just came across a deal for the Yorkville TX9s subwoofers,,, $1199./box. Regular selling price seems to average $1999./box.

I'm pretty sure that later in this thread you discovered that these were being discounted across the board, but here's the L&M price just in case http://www.long-mcquade.com/products/17212/Pro_Audio_Recording/PA_Cabinets/Yorkville_Sound/TX9S_1800-Watt_Twin_18_Subwoofer.htm

• Members

Shaster wrote:

Bobby1Note wrote:

I just came across a deal for the Yorkville TX9s subwoofers,,, $1199./box. Regular selling price seems to average $1999./box.

I'm pretty sure that later in this thread you discovered that these were being discounted across the board, but here's the L&M price just in case

Yeah, that's where I got the price. I called them to find out how long they'd be "on special", and they didn't know. It was only after I called Yorkville that I found out they were discontinued. If you check on-line, most places who have stock in the U.S,, are still asking $2k./box.

At this stage though, I think I'm actually more interested in the VTC N4 tops.

I got an email from Mitek Canada today. The rep there tells me they no longer represent Danley in Canada. I had contacted him to get info on the Danley TH-118's. He told me he still had a single box, brand new, and sold as an "open box". Price is $2k. I have no idea if that's competitive. Great subs, but they need/take a lot of juice.

Archived