I don't understand In-Ear monitors - Help

• Members

What I don't understand is why most transmitters have like 2 inputs, but allow for 4+ receivers? If the unit only has 2 inputs how can it support more that 2 monitor mixes? Are these extra receivers just for volume control? 

• Members

Tullsterx wrote:

But, why do the receivers need different frequencies?

There are 2 inputs but 4+ "frequency-groups". Why?

Which brand/model are you talking about?  Knowing that might make it easier to explain what the system is designed to do. 

The A/T M2 IEMs I use have 4 selectable "frequency-groups" (bandwidths) and then several channels among each group to chose from.  But they don't transmit over different groups simultaneously.

• Members

I guess I'm mainly confused about the relationship between the monitor sends - the transmitter inputs - and the receivers.

I would assume that a transmitter with 2 inputs can only support 2 monitor mixes, and each can be sent to 1 of 4 available frequencies/channels. Is that the general principle? And the availabily of more than 2 frequencies/channels is important when using multiple transmitters?

A unit we're looking at is the Galaxy 900t with 4 receivers.

• Members

Not just multiple transmitters, but also local sources of interference. For example, one the wireless transmitters our singer uses can get jammed on channel one if there are narcs in the area conducting a raid.

• Members

The two inputs are stereo.   They are both sending on the same frequency.  The four receivers all receive the same stereo signal.  I'm not even sure the frequency is adjustable on the 900T.

Technically, you could send two different signals to two different receivers on the same frequency if the receivers had a balance L/R knob.  The 900T does not

• Members

Tullsterx wrote:

A unit we're looking at is the Galaxy 900t with 4 receivers.

Looking at the Galaxy 900T it seems it is available in 4 different fixed frequencies, but each unit only transmits on one of those.  You have to choose which frequency you want when you purchase it.  If you travel at all, (or even if you don't) I would strongly suggest spending a little more and getting the 1100s because the frequencies are adjustable.  You never know what weird interference you might encounter at different venues. 

Also, the 4 fixed frequency choices on the 900s are all in the 600 mhz range which is scheduled to be auctioned off and made illegal for wireless use sometime in the future.  The 1100s have frequency options in the 580 mhz range which, hopefully, won't be part of that next auction.

Archived