Need a speaker delay processor,,,, any recommendations?

• Members

We use an EV DC One for our DSP. No complaints so far.

Bobby1Note wrote:

Hey guys,

I'm looking for an inexpensive delay processor, for a church sound set-up. I figure I'd need approx 30-35ms delay. Any thoughts/ recommendations?

• Members

Hi Don,

It's an odd situation. I'm helping a young couple from Guam, with the sound system for their church. They had all kinds of issues with feedback,,, choir-mic'ing,,,instrument mic'ing,,, and I've resolved these issues.THis is also a low-budget situation

Now,,,, they have two sound systems in the church. One system for the musicians and choir,,,, and a separate system for the priest. Both of those systems have a Mackie CFX-12 for a mixer. The musicians run their sound thru a pair of Mackie SRM450's.

The priests' system, consists of several condenser mics which he uses at the pulpit,,,, the altar,,,, and a chair from which he speaks. His speakers are small satellite speakers (brand and model unknown at this point), which are fastened to a "wall". There are 8 speakers,,, four on each side, each row of speakers being spaced roughly 12'-15' apart. Pair 1 for example,,, covers the first five-six rows of pews,,,, pair 2 covers the next 5-6 rows,,,, an so on. The church by the way, seats roughly 400 people. BTW,,,, none of those speakers face the back of the church, they all face  the center-aisle of the church.

Now,,,, they're so happy with the improved sound of the choir and musicians system, thay they also want to run the priests' mics thru that system, because they're having some serious intelligibility issues with the small satellite speakers. There's all sorts of comb-filtering issues going on with those satellites.

Here's the problem,,,, they want to know if it's ok to run the priests' mics, through both systems, simultaneously,,,, or,,,,, run his mic's purely through the Mackies,,,, which are positioned at the front of the seating area.

I advised them that running solely through the Mackies, would mean that there would be a "hi-volume" area at the front of the seats,, and that the sound-pressure would not be evenly distributed front-to-back,,,,They'd resolve the comb-filtering and intelligibility issues, but,,,, it's a trade-off.

Now, the satellite speaker system,,,, was "designed" (nudge-nudge/ wink-wink), by the churchs' "sound lady", who has categorically NO idea what wtf she's doing. For example, she uses her aux-send faders, because "they MUST do something",,,,, and, the auxes aren't connected to anything. (sigh). (That's another story unto itself, she's "fighting" the changes we've made.to HER set-up).

What I'm proposing to the new sound-man, is that he use his Mackies at a decent, but not too loud level, at the front of the seats,,,, and, that he re-arranges the satellite speakers differently, to reduce the comb-filtering. Instead of having those satellites covering 5-6 rows per pair,,,, I'd take 'em all down,,, and re-install small clusters ,,,, maybe 2-3 speakers per cluster,,, with one cluster mounted on each side of the pews, firing toward the back of the church. They would cover only the last 8-10 rows or so, of the 24 rows of pews. This would allow for a lower sound-pressure at the FOH Mackies, and a better overall balance,,,,, BUT,,,, they'd need a delay processor, to time the satellites to the Mackies. Off the top of my head, I'd imagine those satellite-clusters would be placed roughly 35-40 feet forward of the Mackies. I figured roughly 35ms delay at 40' (I haven't done the exact math yet, because we don't know if the "church Lady", will fight this, or not.) If I'm not mistaken, it's something like 1ms/ 13.54 inches.

• Members

Pro Sound Guy wrote:

Rane AD 22S Audio Delay

I looked at that one yesterday. Nice unit, but these folks just can't afford that. This is a young soon-to-be-wed couple, who donate their time (and some money & equipment), playing for the church.

I'm still waiting to find out if the priest will allow the satellite speakers to be moved. I expect an answer after this weekend. Easter is a really big deal at the church, plus they're moving into their own place this weekend. I'll probably know by Tuesday.

Archived