Audio-technica transmitter with other brand receiver? In UK?

• Members

Hi all. First post. Newbie.

I'm in the US but I'm traveling to the UK for a show. I have a new Audio-Tecnica ATW-R3100bC that I use with a headworn mic. I would rather not travel with the receiver because it's a brick. But the venue does not have any headworn mic's and my mic only has an AT connector. 

I haven't been able to speak directly to their AV guy, but I got a message that I should bring my mic and the transmitter and use their receiver. I don't know what brand their receiver is. But it's just radio signals, right? I should be able to find a compatible frequency, yes? And what about it being in the UK? Do they have different radio standards? 

Sorry to be so ignorant, but you gotta start somewhere!

Thanks,

Eva

• Members

Yes, different countries use different frequencies. Half of your equipment probably won't work with half of their equipment unless it was all bought in the same county. And even then, you don't want to risk transmitting on unauthorized frequencies.

• Members

dboomer wrote:

Your best bet is to rent a system over there.  They use completely different frequencies than in the USA.  And in Europe they seem to take the rules very seriously. 
freak.gif

Agreed, as well as some brands encode specific information within the transmitted signals that are not universally received. I am thinking specifically about squelch control signals, data telemetry signals, etc.

For example, the Audio Technica 2000 and 3000 series are not compatible even using identical frequencies.

Archived