Hanging Tapestries On Stage For A Show?

• Members

Okay this is likely the wrong forum for this, but I will ask anyway. I am snagging some tapestries for my band, tie dye stuff and whatnot, as well as having a banner made once we decide on a logo. Anyway, what is the best way to hang tapestries on a live show as a backdrop on the stage, without nails or mess? Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

I have used a mid-price lighting truss with crank stands for this; it works well as a lot of places don't have a good location to hang from and this setup also makes it sturdy so the drummer doesn't get a surprise at some point in the night. The crank stands work well for leveling as some places we have had to put one stand on the stage and one on the floor etc.

Prior to taking this approach I always thought it looked bush league as it was almost impossible to get the right level and stretch; which then made positioning lights a PITA....this approach is easy for setup and doesn't waste time, not sure about you but the last thing I ever have extra of at load-in/setup/soundcheck is time... 

• Members

Would hanging tapestries from a truss system like that still mean that I would be subject to the same issues regarding the tapestries having accompanying flame retardant certificates?

I was kind of hoping there was a way around an entire truss system, though.

Edit: Also, how wide is that truss?

• Members

Material on walls and ceilings is required to have a different flame spread rating because of the nature of the combustion on a vertical and overhead surface.

Materials are required to be fire retardant in assembly occupancies because ignition can happen by accident from a variety of causes. The goal is to prevent loss of life if for any reason it was to catch fire.

Archived