Replacing 1/4" Jacks

• Members

Long story short, I purchased a Seismic Audio 100' 24x8 snake last year when I bought my Presonus Studiolive board.  It's a decent snake, a little hard to maneuver, but it passes sound, and it was a little under $400 IIRC.  Well, the 1/4" connections on the returns are junk, I'm having so many problems with them, plus I would like to change the returns on the box end to XLR.  What would you recommend to replace these with 1/4" fantails and XLR box ends?

• Members

I prefer Neutrik connectors.  I'd say NC3MDL1 on the box and NP3C on the fan, or NP3X if your fingers are feeling strong, since they're hard to tighten without the special tools that Neutrik sells.  Get the black versions if you need them to match other black connectors.  Is there a reason you want to stay 1/4" on the fan end of the return?  I prefer to have all XLR, but maybe that's just me.

Are the 1/4" panel connectors on the box mounted in 3/8" round holes, or are they the same size as the XLR's?  If they're the same size as the XLR's, they're probably the same size as Neutrik D series connectors, so the swap will be easy.  If they're smaller round holes you have a problem.  You'll have to get a 15/16" punch or step bit and make yourself a hole to mount a D size connector in, then drill a couple small holes for screws or rivets.

In any case you'll need a moderate amount of mechanical ability, some common tools, and basic soldering skills.  It's a pretty straightforward process though.

• Members

If you are going to mount the XLR panel mount, you will need to know which size hole the connector requires, and have the proper tools. For male XLR, are both 3/4" and 15/16" out there, so know which ones you are needing. Switchcraft D3M style use 3/4"

What 24x8 snake would be manufactured these days using 1/4" connectors? That's so junior high. Wow, major face palm.

• Members

Have you tried contacting Seismic? I have used a lot of their stuff for speaker cables and insert snakes and in my experience have had really good products and really good customer service. I would think if it is relatively new and you are having problems they would support you, including making the change you want in connectors.

• Members

B. Adams wrote:

I prefer Neutrik connectors.  I'd say NC3MDL1 on the box and NP3C on the fan, or NP3X if your fingers are feeling strong, since they're hard to tighten without the special tools that Neutrik sells.  

Installing some shrink tube on the jaws of pliers creates an "ok" tool for the job.

Archived