Powered Sub Recommendations please

• Members

Ok , our FOH system is this , per side we use 1 peavey sp218 powered by a Behringer (yeah I don't like these amps for FOH ) EP4000 one side per cab and a Jbl PRX525 that is powered . The bottom end is where we are lacking so , We are thinking of going powered subs , not bargin basement budget but maybe best bang for the buck . Or maybe upgrading the amp and staying with the peavey subs . Any recommendations on either path would be highly appreciated 

Thanks 

• Members

djrnno wrote:

Ok , our FOH system is this , per side we use 1 peavey sp218 powered by a Behringer (yeah I don't like these amps for FOH ) EP4000 one side per cab and a Jbl PRX525 that is powered . The bottom end is where we are lacking so , We are thinking of going powered subs , not bargin basement budget but maybe best bang for the buck . Or maybe upgrading the amp and staying with the peavey subs . Any recommendations on either path would be highly appreciated 

Have you turned down the PRX525's so they match the output of the subs? You can do that either at the back of them or at the crossover. Are you actually running the subs as hard as they will go?

• Members

If you are not getting at least a useable low end from the SP218 then you are doing something wrong....or something in your signal chain is wrong.

I had the pleasure of laughing at a Behringer amplifier just last night (same model OP has), that has to be the weakest, poorest performing amp I have ever tried using.

Start by switching that out with anything else and see if it improves your sub situation.

• Members

Those subs hit pretty hard; there are a lot of good amps out there that match up well with them for not much money and you can get a decent crossover for less than $200. Those subs work well at about 115-120 Hz at 12db/octave or 125 at 18/octave (as long as you set the tops on the same slope)...if you can swing the cost of a dbx PA+ (even if you need to go used) you will not regret it as it gives a ton of flexibility and includes limiting. You have decent enough gear to play a reasonable room so I wouldn't go after replacing subs. In my opinion you need to get the crossover right, balance the gain structure on the amps following the instructions in the back of the PA+ manual and then decide if you have an issue with the amp....just throwing different power at a system that isn't balanced isn't going to get you what you are after.

EDIT: I re-read your original post - ignore my comment about the PA+ and gain structure setup; I mistakenly thought you were running passive tops - I don't know of a way to do what they recomend when you are using powered cabs without potentially damaging the speakers

Archived