new mains - thoughts on mackie sr1350s and alternatives

• Members

Greetings,

I'm not the sound guy in our band I figure I'll help out with some info gathering :)  Apologies for lack of all info here but hopefully I have enough to get a few opinions.  We mostly play smaller bars and clubs with occasional outdoor gigs (not talking festivals or anything here).

We've been using a couple Mackie 1801 subs (iirc) with some mackie powered mains (model escapes me).  The board is a new line 6 soundscape (so far very cool), monitors and mains are all active.  Those speakers will be moved to monitor duties, joining a couple other identical ones.  

Bass player/sound guy is looking for lightly-used gear that he's confident in  (as he says, no CL for active gear).  So far he's looking at a pair of QSC 15-inch speakers (apologies, don't know exactly which) and the Mackie SR1350.  We expect the QSC would be great but $ is a factor.  We don't know much about the Mackies and would welcome any opinions.

Edit: QSCs are model  153i apparently.

Thanks!

• Members

No offense here,  but you're basically saying you want a speaker that can do x, y, & z,   but you only have the budget for a speaker that can do "one" of those things.

Those Mackie's are about bottom of the barrel for what most of us here would consider acceptable for basic club duty.

If you want a decent PA for club gigs of ~150-250 people...  you're going to need to spend $4k+.

Having said that,   those QSC 153i's are definitely a big step up from the Mackie's,  while still being good bang-for-your-buck.   

• Members

No offense taken, I'm kind of forwarding on things.  I appreciate the info.  We are definitely on the smaller side of things at this point doing the weekend warrior thing, so $$ is unfortunately a factor for us.  I think either may be an upgrade from what we have, how much I'm not sure.

• Members

Personally, since youre at the 1k mark right now.  Id save the money from the next few gigs to add another $500 to that.  You can get a pair of QSC K12's off Amazon for $1500.  Theyre great speakers and would definitely serve you well.

• Members

Crownman wrote:

Personally, since youre at the 1k mark right now.  Id save the money from the next few gigs to add another $500 to that.  You can get a pair of QSC K12's off Amazon for $1500.  Theyre great speakers and would definitely serve you well.

This ^^^

QSC K-series, Yamaha DXR/DSR, RCF ART series, JBL PRX would be my first choices in that price range.

Archived