Small monitor for acoustic duo?

• Members

Vocals, guitar, harmonica....I have a K10, but am thinking of getting something as small as I can get away with.  Right now, I have an iPad mounted to my mic stand, but was thinking of something like a hot spot-ish monitor to sit below it near the base...fairly discreet.  Thoughts?  The K10 is overkill at this point and I will keep it for full band use.

Thanks!

• Members

HarpNinjaMike wrote:

Vocals, guitar, harmonica....I have a K10, but am thinking of getting something as small as I can get away with.  Right now, I have an iPad mounted to my mic stand, but was thinking of something like a hot spot-ish monitor to sit below it near the base...fairly discreet.  Thoughts?  The K10 is overkill at this point and I will keep it for full band use.

Thanks!

Lots of people will backline their mains for small patio and corner bar gigs so they dont need to run monitors.   Feedback isnt an issue because you are not playing that loud.     Keep it simple and you will always know what it sounds like out front in the house.

• Members

One of my gigs is an acoustic duo, and we often go pretty minimal with gear. I agree with the suggestion to backline the main speakers if that will work for you. We do that sometimes just to keep a lower visual profile, so speakers aren't so prominent at gigs like corporate and wedding receptions. If the main speakers are always forward and to the sides, you could try angling one or both speakers inwards a little, so you get some bleed from the sides. 

I've tried all the different approaches with our duo -- backline mains (which work fine, but only at low volume and in the right venues), small personal monitors like the TC Helicon VoiceSolo VSM-200XT and VSM-300XT (similar to Galaxy Hot Spots or the Mackie SRM150), as well as compact 8" floor monitors. 

For our particular needs, we decided to stick with a single Electro-Voice ZXA1 powered 8" floor monitor. The acoustic guitar player in our duo likes to hear plenty of bottom end in his guitar, and the little personal monitors like the VoiceSolo, SRM150, etc., just weren't cutting it for the bass notes in the guitar. These personal monitors are really designed as vocal monitors, and don't do that well at full-range instrument reproduction. 

The ZXA1 has a small footprint and is very lightweight. With the horn rotated, it has a 90 degree coverage angle that works for the two of us when we're playing. I think it's also less visually distracting for the audience, compared to hanging a personal monitor on a mic stand. We've always tried to avoid too much stage clutter, so we look as "acoustic" as possible for this kind of gig. It's just part of the vibe we try to create at our shows. The only thing better would be IEM's, but we don't go there for many reasons -- expense, additional wireless receivers, too much isolation from the audience, and so on.

Archived