O.T.; Switching internet providers,,,, hassles

• Members

I'm thinking of switching internet providers, and I'm a little concerned over how much hassle this will create. Example; I'll find out my new "address" on the day of installlation,,, then, when I wanna come here to H.C. I'll try to sign in,,,, and of course my email address will be different. If I can't sign in,,,then I'll be asked for my email address, but they'd have my current user-name listed under my old address,,, and I'd most likely be told, this user-name is already in use.... arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!.

Am I over (or maybe under) thinking this? I currently use Outlook Express for emails, and some said I should use a G-Mail account to avoid this issue. Some sites apparently won't allow using accounts such as G-Mail, or HotMail.

If it was only one or two websites, it wouldn't be a biggie, but I've got a bunch to do, some of which I haven't visited in a while, and have probably forgotten my password for many of those.

• CMS Author

Bobby1Note wrote:

I'm thinking of switching internet providers, and I'm a little concerned over how much hassle this will create. Example; I'll find out my new "address" on the day of installlation,,, then, when I wanna come here to H.C. I'll try to sign in,,,, and of course my email address will be different. If I can't sign in,,,then I'll be asked for my email address, but they'd have my current user-name listed under my old address,,, and I'd most likely be told, this user-name is already in use.... arghhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!.

Am I over (or maybe under) thinking this? I currently use Outlook Express for emails, and some said I should use a G-Mail account to avoid this issue. Some sites apparently won't allow using accounts such as G-Mail, or HotMail.

If it was only one or two websites, it wouldn't be a biggie, but I've got a bunch to do, some of which I haven't visited in a while, and have probably forgotten my password for many of those.

If you've forgotten passwords, get that fixed before you switch providers. Regarding HC; your email address isn't checked when you sign in, so switching shouldn't lock you out.

At least you have a head's-up....my email address died suddenly one day, and I learned that my ex had cancelled the provider months before without telling me. My bad for leaving my email on that carrier, but intertia is what it is. At any rate, Comcast gave me a temp password good for a whopping 90 minutes so I could move important saved emails elsewhere. All part of why I'm Comcast-free today...

• Members

Bobby1Note wrote:

Some sites apparently won't allow using accounts such as G-Mail, or HotMail.

I've been using Hotmail for 11 years and never had a problem.

I purposely avoid using e-mail addresses that are tied to certain services. When I was doing a lot of design work, I was using an e-mail address from my company domain. Once I left the company my address became invalid and I was unable to sign in to a bunch of other services I was using.

• Members

I'd suggest that you buy your own domain name and get web hosting that will also host your email accounts. You probably want at least a basic webpage anyway for your business, and that would be covered in the service. You can continue to use Outlook or Outlook Express, as well as leave email up on the server if you want.

Archived