Building my own Quad Boxes

• Members

Looking to build a pair of 50ft quad boxes, with one box on the end to use with my FOH speakers.  Obviously I can just go to Lowes and get some parts to do so, but I'd like a little insight and some tips & tricks as to what I'm getting into...anyone have any recommendations?  Can I build one with a GFI to protect my stuff?  Thanks.

• Members

Tomm Williams wrote:

As long as they are wired to code they won't. How confident are you in your electrical skills?

Unless you use code compliant parts for portable power distribution use, it's not too bad, but going to Home Depot or Lowes isn't going to get you there.

• Members

Do yourself a big favor and don't build a 50' cable with a quad box at the end.  Huge PITA to coil and deal with.

Make a 50' extension cable and then a Drop-a-Quad like this.

2h7q52w.jpg" rel="nofollow">http://i49.tinypic.com/2h7q52w.jpg[/img]

Easy to transport and can be used with any length extension cable.  They can also be made with a through tail with female connector for dropping a quad in the middle of a cable run.

Edit:  how do you post pictures????

• Members

I'm sorry, but? What is OSHA?, what about if you can't find those boxes and built almost the same with a plastic base(the ones that are inside the walls?then make the covers for the outlets with wood, i was looking for some quad boxes over here, but over here nobody knows what a quad box is,

• Members

JV90, OSHA is the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the primary workplace safety regulatory agency in the United States. Most private sector places of employment are subject to basic safety rules; OSHA has general inspection and enforcement authority. Certain industries have additional rules, and some states have additional safety requirements. Mark C.

• Members

The safety organizations and codes vary from region to region, but they are in place (generally) to improve the safety of those using the products or exposed to their use.

Here in the U.S., the plastic boxes used inside walls are not even close legal, nor would they hold up long enough to prevent dangerous conditions in portable use.

Safety listings of a product include how it's intended to be used. There are specific boxes listed for portable power use.

• Members

I think that you will find that the plastic junction or outlet boxes designed for interior use in houses will not survive being stepped upon too many times on stage. If you decide to make your own, metal boxes will be more durable. You can paint them flat black so they are not as obvious on stage. Of course, you should consult with a licensed or certified electrician to see if there are electrical safety codes applicable to the places you will be working, and to make sure that whatever you do won't hurt or kill somebody due to mis-wiring. Mark C.

Edit: As often happens, Aged said things better than I could, and got a reply in while I was typing on my iPhone.

• Members

I understand perfectly what are you guys talking about, over here the plastic cases that I can buy are the heavey duty ones, a big block of plastic which can be thrown to the floor and would not break at all, they are well built, the only part that I can't found is the caps, or where the outlets shows, so I was thinking that I can build some wood plates to cover them and let the outlet appear, the only thing that I don't like I'd that the plastic boxes were in white color, but that can be changed painting them in black,

• Members

What I mean of the plastic case for the outlet are the ones that goes inside the wall, this are square ones that comes with the hole to install 2 double outlets, they also have some holes around the case, I'm talking about that model, I think you are trying to say the other plastic boxes which are the ones to put on surfaces, those are tiny plastic and they would break for anything use, the ingress that I mention ate these ones: http://sitio.plastigama.com/producto/construccion/item/conduit.html

• Members

I do not think these will hold up under even light use, the K.O.'s will not remain in place, I don't think the covers will not break. This is a surface installation product primarily but with the right accessories can be used in the wall as well.I really don't recommend this for portable use, but I don't know what you have available that's going to do the job correctly..

• Members

For inside the building walls or on the building walls is not portable use. This is the problem with any safety organizations that might look at your equipment, and the knockouts are not going to stay intact in portable use leaving holes to stick fingers in.

• CMS Author

If you can find cast metal boxes like this:

http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/electrical/boxes/weatherproof/two-gang-boxes

box

...these will get you off to a better start. The holes can be filled with a screw-in cap that won't be dislodged by normal use. Nylon cover plates work pretty well for the front. A wire strain relief, (in the US, the Kellem brand is the best, but pricey and likely not available in Ecuador) is the best way to terminate the cable:

grip

Inside the box, since you'll be using stranded wire, crimp terminals may be the best way to handle the wire ends. It's difficult to wrap stranded wire around screw terminals and make the connection stand up to handling abuse. Those shown here are "spade" end terminals, and these also happen to have shrink adhesive insulators.

spade

Archived