Please Help! Sound System design for a house of worship.

• Members

I appologize for the longer post. Any help would be very appreciated!

I am trying to design a sound system for a house of worship that is fairly sized. One area is 3,691 sq. ft. and the other is 1,550 sq. ft. For the larger area I have determined I need 10 speakers and for the smaller area I have determined I will need 6.

I plan to use JBL Control 28 speakers powered by 4 crown xls1500 amps. I will also be using a Rolls RM65B audio mixer, a Lexicon MX300, with several Shure handheld and body pack mics. Power will be provided by two Furman M-8LX power conditioners and an APC SWC-29863-28 backup battery. I will also be ordering 1000 feet of RCA 18 guage speaker cable. 

My main concern is with speakers and the amplifiers. Do I have enough amps, too many amps? Any tips on how to wire the system? Any thoughts on the speaker choice? Any help at all would be appreciated! 

*I can also email you my whole list of items and a blueprint of the area for reference if needed. My email address is aalsaqri@gmail.com

Thanks!

• Members

Unalaska wrote:

There's much more to designing a system, you seem a in a little over your head. I'd consult an install company, they can help with the trickier parts of installing and help with some acoustical anomalies.

I disagree. The OP is not in a little over his head; he's in way over his head.

To the OP: Stop. Don't buy anything. You have no idea what you're doing. If you buy stuff now, you're going to waste your church's money. Hire a professional.

-Dan.

• Members

oh my

There are too many variables here to accurately answer your question. You have mentioned several things in your post that suggest that you are not qualified to design this system.

I agree with the posters that recommend hiring a professional.

• Members

Please dont take the above information as derogatory. I have been in your shoes and I know what it is like to have the desire to help design systems for Churches. Sometimes it works out and it is ok but the reality is, there is no shame in stepping aside and saying "I know enough about sound systems to know that I am not qualified to do this right".

The last thing you want is to purchase a bunch of equipment and then find out it doesn't work as intended or doesnt even address your needs. Church budgets are usually tight as it is, so there is no room for error.

There are many factors involved in designing systems. It is more than a simple shopping list. factors like room size, room shape, number of seats, type of seats, style of worship, acoustics and contrcution materials, staff or volunteer operators, electrical systems, hvac, just to name a few. And then there is the budget which influences all of that.

It is great to want to be involved and learn along the way. I do that. But just be realistic about what you can and cannot do. Too many churches have been burned by "Bob the deacon that has a servants heart and knows how to turn on the stereo".

Hire a qualified professional. And I don't mean the guy from radio shack because he knows how to plug stuff in. Someone who has a track record of doing things right. Contact their previous customers and ask for their experience with the contractor. 

Jared

*No offense intended to any Bob's out there that might be deacons and know how to use a stereo. :)

• Members

Yup one more voice added to the chior.  Don't do it.  There are a number of red flags in your post. 

Example.  Why so many speakers?  All those speakers without a time delay will give bad sound.

I don't see a DSP.  How will you tune the system to the room.  I am not sure about the #18 wire.

Just so you know where I am comming from, I am a church tech volenteer. I like church sound. With my experence, I am confortable chosing a mixer, and microphones and wirring.  I woukld not try to do what you are doing. Chosing the right speakers and where to put them requires a lot of experence and some test equipment and software. You realy need some help.  You may want to join churchsoundcheck.com as well as this forum.  It will help you find more experts in your area.  BTW Where are you located?

Archived