mackie dl1608 should I switch ?? thoughts please

• Members

Hey All ,

Been doing my research on the Mackie DL1608, and am thinking about switching over , We are a 5 piece New Country and classic rock band that plays about 7-8 times a month , The big thing is I mix from the stage and as you know it's hard to get sounds and mixes that way cause I have to keep running back n forth , Right now We have an Allen Heath mixwiz3 16.2 1 stereo Comp/limt and 31 band EQ on mains and the 4 auxes we use for mon. Seems like for us the Mackie would do away with the outboard gear and when we start using a sound guy the need to run a snake ( which I hate ) AND give us more control over each channel . Also give each member control over their own mon mix plus give us an extra 2 aux outs ( we use 2 of the AH's aux for effects) . I plan on using a dedicated Ipad for that only and having a back up . I am not a mix happy kinda guy , I get it the best I can then just tweek things during course of the show , don't like to play with things just cause they are available , if it's needed i use it if not i leave it . Anyone using this Mackie ? thoughts? concerns? I get valuable info from you folks so would love opinions please 

Thanks 

• Members

I also mix from stage a lot while playing and I use the older yamaha 01v. When playing its important the user interface won't backfire (crank the snare volume while trying to swipe the screen right). Best thing to do is get your hands on it.

• Members

djrnno wrote:

Hey All ,

Been doing my research on the Mackie DL1608, and am thinking about switching over , We are a 5 piece New Country and classic rock band that plays about 7-8 times a month , The big thing is I mix from the stage and as you know it's hard to get sounds and mixes that way cause I have to keep running back n forth , Right now We have an Allen Heath mixwiz3 16.2 1 stereo Comp/limt and 31 band EQ on mains and the 4 auxes we use for mon. Seems like for us the Mackie would do away with the outboard gear and when we start using a sound guy the need to run a snake ( which I hate ) AND give us more control over each channel . Also give each member control over their own mon mix plus give us an extra 2 aux outs ( we use 2 of the AH's aux for effects) . I plan on using a dedicated Ipad for that only and having a back up . I am not a mix happy kinda guy , I get it the best I can then just tweek things during course of the show , don't like to play with things just cause they are available , if it's needed i use it if not i leave it . Anyone using this Mackie ? thoughts? concerns? I get valuable info from you folks so would love opinions please 

Thanks 

As long as you don't have more than 16 inputs, it's definitely worth considering.  With the iPad, you could do the sound check from out front, without having to run back and forth.  The mixer has a small footprint, so it could be easier to get at on stage. I use this system often as a sound tech from out front in the venue.  One strategy is to put the inputs you most frequently need to 'tweak' on the same page. That way, you don't have to slide screens to get at them. (The software for the iPad has two screens, one for 1-8, and one for 9-16.  No big deal to change though, just a swipe with your finger). 

If you have an iPad, you can go and download the free software off iTunes and try it out in demo mode.

• Members

I'm considering one as a backup and for thos total PITA shows at downtown hotels or where the performance area is ridiculously constrained. Anyway, if you already have an Ipad I suggest downloading the Mackie "Masterfader" app. It's free and you can get a feel for the mixer as that's the actual interface. I'm actually impressed with the way it's layed out and the functionality. It's much easier to mix on than my StudioLive Ipad app. With oversize "touch points" that glow or expand when you touch them, you can tell they actually put some thought in the touch interface being easy to use.

• Members

How good is the "iPad failure mode" on the dl1608? I assume (correct me if I'm wrong) that the base unit will continue working with the last settings, if the iPad goes down for whatever reason?

As far as I can tell from the photos, it doesn't seem to have a master volume control for making level changes or killing audio during breaks, so you could muddle your way through a performance if the iPad goes TU. That would worry me, I think. There are lots of new things to worry about with digital mixers compared to the tried 'n true analog, but at least the other newer mixers like the Line6 or the new A&H only use the iPad for remote control, not the main interface. 

Also, what is the current and expected future support for different iPad versions? How is Mackie handling the change in connector type with 4th gen iPads, and any differences in body thickness? 

• Members

It's an awesome mixer, I use it with the dlm 12's & dlm 12's, the 1608 works great. we us 5 aux sends and everybody in the band has my fader on there phones and Ipads. Very quick to setup and save shows and eq's I give it 4.8 out 5 stars.... Try it you'll like it !!!

• Members

I bought one as well. Great deal on eBay for $750..... Anyway, my band is back to running our own sound.....small fish in a decent sized pond. Trying to save some cash. The tiny footprint, wireless mixing, 6 auxs, built in fx, no 100lb rack of outboard gear is what sold me. Haven't used it yet but looking forward to it. Replacing a mixwizard and rack if all goes well.

• Members

I just put the most used channels on the 1st 8. We use e-drums so it goes like this.

1- kick

2 - snare

3 - crash/toms

4 - hat/ride

5 - bass

6 - guitar

7 - keys

8 - lead vocal

9 - backing vocal

10 - backing vocal

11 - backing vocal

12 - backing vocal

13 - sampler

14 - open

15 - open (toasting/speech) mic for weddings

16 - laptop/mp3

• Members

So I broke down, moslty because I am very bored lately, and bought the DL 1608...I was going to buy the 8 channel version, but for $100 difference, what the heck, give me the addtional 8 channels! I figure, if I hate this, it should be easier to sell.

First impressions are really good, not sure what I was expecting from a Mackie mixer, but this seems solid, compact, well built. Customer service so far is excellent, my first day, and I e-mailed them twice with questions, they answered right away, with correct solutions...that's dam good!

I hooked it up to a new Ipad2, and having never used either the mixer, or the pad, I was able to set-up the mixer, tablet...the whole PA, and get it running in around 45 minutes. Very easy, and intuitive software. Everything is very simple to find, and to use, no steep learning curve here, all the effects are right there, tap delay is so easy to set-up it's almost a joke!

I also love the eq on the master fader, but it would be awesome if we could have the same eq in every strip, maybe something for the future of the software? Having said that, the eq in every channel is very, very good.

Added bonus, one button recording, excellent for recording practices, or even gigs to review later. I wish there was an easier way to review the recordings that did not envolve attaching the pad to a computer running Itunes, again, maybe something for a future update.

Rod

Archived