No announcement yet.

Anyone ever built a talk-box?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone ever built a talk-box?

I'm looking to build a talk-box. I've found dozens of videos on how to make talk-boxes on youtube, and I understand the whole concept, but I'm wondering if anyone here has built one, and what their experience was? 

Has anyone made one using a small speaker rather than a compression driver? If so, what size speaker?

What is the freq response of the compression drivers typically used in a talk-box?

How did you choose to power it the driver in the talk box, and how did you do the switching?

How did you build your enclosure and connect the mouth tube?

What did it cost you to build it?

I'm looking to build this as a fun project, but also have it be something I can use in a new project I'm playing in.  Thanks for any input you can provide.

-Ed Willock
    In A Can Productions

Yes, I have. Use a durable horn driver. Cloth diaphragm works better than aluminum or titanium, IMO.
    tlbonehead@yahoo.com
    www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
    -For Sale:
    -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
    -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
    - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
    - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
    - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

• agedhorse
      agedhorse commented
      Editing a comment

Yes, something that is more a midrange driver... IIRC there were a lot built out of EV 1823's (IIRC, been a long time).

Also a high pass filter of some what is helpful.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Speaking of age, I wonder how many read this and said, "what's a talk box?".

"If you don't know where you are going, you might wind up someplace else" - Yogi Berra, 1925-2015

Comment

• dbMontana
        dbMontana commented
        Editing a comment

Craigv wrote:

Speaking of age, I wonder how many read this and said, "what's a talk box?".

Right.  I'm 61 and only have the vaguest idea so I'm left wondering, just how old ARE you guys?  <wink>!

...dave

I think I recall old Heil Sound horn-loaded PA cabs with red fiberglass horn flares. Or am I dreaming?

tlbonehead@yahoo.com
      www.myspace.com/tbone_tommy
      -For Sale:
      -set of GFS Dream 90s- gold and black pearl- $40 shipped in the cont. US
      -(2) Celestion G12M-70 16 ohm guitar speakers in good condition $40 ea. + shipping.
      - Vox VT15 Valvetronix very clean - $85 + shipping
      - Hughes Kettner Edition Tube 20 (the early Voxy sounding one) Sounds & looks good. $250 + shipping. SOLD
      - Crate Palomino V8 - 10" Celestion - Very clean - on Ebay (sold)

Comment

Ugh, I know all of that gear first hand jr
        -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
        Former product development engineer: Genz Benz, a KMC Music/FMIC/JAM Industries Company, continuing factory level product support and service for Genz Benz

Currently product development engineer: Mesa Boogie

Comment

Working...
        X