Compression Issue

• Members

Hey everyone, I have a problem and am hoping someone can help. I have an acoustic due band that I can't seem to get compression settings correct for. Two guitars, two vocals. One guitar plays lots of leads and some strumming while the other is pure rhythm strumming. I can't seem to get the compression settings correct so that the lead guitar comes through while maintaining the volume during strumming for the lead guitarist. Right now the ratio for both is about 4:1 threshold is about -10 db. Please give some suggestions for settings to solve this issue. Thanks everyone in advance! Rock On www.thewhiskies.net

• Members

My first instinct would be to suggest that you modify your playing to get the dynamics you want, but having a too-quick attack time can also bury things.

Also, none of the media links on your web site work.

-Dan.

• Members

Thanks for the response, illl check the attack time. Basically what Im going for is a blend simliar to the live at luther college album. Im sure some of this perfect mix however was in part done riding the faders. The website is under construction and should be fixed in a day or two. Thanks for the heads up though!

• Members

What is achievable recording is much different than what most folks are likely able to achieve live because firstly live sound is a closed loop process and with heavy compression like what it seems you are trying to do is not very practical for feedback (GBF) reasons as well as overmanagement of dynamics.

Recording is an open loop process, and one trick that I could see being helpful is tracking the lead parts seperately from the strumming parts and using different processing on the tracks (old school) or automating different snapshots with the different processing if using a DAW. The different processing would use different attack and release times, thresholds and ratios that are appropriate to the different parts.

If it was me for a live application, I would back off on the ratio to ~2:1, and set the threshold for maybe a maximum of 6dB of gain reduction at the most under the loudest parts and manage the rest of the dynamics with your playing style.

• Members

The goal is to have a small boost for the lead parts compared to the strumming parts during a live performance?

Is this lead guitar plugged in (DI'ed) or is it mic'ed?

If it is plugged in, I would suggest that the compressor is the wrong tool for what you want to achieve. An EQ pedal or some other foot pedal that can provide around a 3-6 db clean boost would be a better and more controllable solution IMO. A gentle compression can then be used to provide some tension and energy to the lead lines.

If the guitar is mic'ed, the lead guitarist should focus on his mic and playing dynamics. By backing away a little, or turning slightly off axis during the rhythm sections, and getting a little closer and on axis during the lead lines is a very effective method for this.

• Members

agedhorse wrote:

For very wide ranging vocals, I tend to use around 4:1 ratio and a threshold that is more tuned for peak compression. Another option is a dual slope compressor with 2 thresholds and ratios. Hard to do well live however.

Because the DL1608 has the monitor feeds post-dynamics I use a 4:1 ratio and a threhold of -14db full scale = +3 db from nominal to just squash the occasional peaks. You can't really use compression on this board on vocals unless you want to have the monitors feeding back all night - plus I'm not into squashing the hell out of the vocals anyways.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived