carvin rx1200

• Members

I've just joined this site after "eavesdropping" for some time and finding some very helpful information.

I'm interested in any experiences with Carvin's 1200RX powered mixer. I'm in a 4 piece "roots" folk rock band, no drums or bass, just keys, guitars, fiddle and vocals. We perform about once a month and like to keep things very simple and we don't want to haul lots of gear around. So a powered mixer with more than 2 amps seems like a logical choice. So far I've only been able to identify the RX series and Crate's PM series. We rely a lot on our vocal harmonies and need to keep everything as clean-sounding as possible.

Thanks.

• Members

The Carvin RX1200 should be good match for what you specified.

I have the next up model Carvin C1644P. It has the same power amp built in. Plenty of power for a couple of hundred people, playing your style music.

If you need a complete system, check this out.... (Note the PM15s speakers are being discontinued, so you should be able to get a much better price from Carvin)

http://www.carvin.com/products/single.php?ItemNumber=RX1200-PM15&CID=SYS1

Ask them about the the newer packages and pricing...(i.e. RX1200-LM12 for $1279) which includes $306 worth of mics, stands and cables...

• Members

No offense to Smitty, 'cause God knows he loves his carvin gear... but do you have speakers yet? If now I would look into a powered speakers solution. There are a lot of reasonably priced systems out there (Yorkville pops into my mind) that are in your price range. If you want simple, there isn't much simpler than plugging in the mixer, plugging in the speakers and running an XLR cable. This also insures that your speakers are appropriately powered and gives you some protection against speaker damage. Good luck to you!

• Members

All I can say is:
:)

Actually, Al Poulin might be coming over to the dark side as well, if he ends up liking his new Carvin powered LM15 he ordered.

The dark side? :D I will still have my Yorkville NX55Ps and LS700P sub and the rest of my Yamaha and Peavey gear, but I can't wait to hear these new LM15As. I love how they look but also the fact that I'll probably be the only DJ in Sudbury Ontario with Carvin powered speakers (or Carvin anything for that matter). I have actually not seen any DJs who use NX55PS or the LS700P around here either which is but one reason why I love this (my main system) also. I can say my setup sounds much better than most in my area. Most DJs around here use Behringer Eurolives on sticks or Peavey PRs, Yamaha clubs or the occasional JBL eon. The Carvins look good on paper but also, two of them are just a little more $$$ than one of my NX55Ps. I would've probably bought another pair of NX55Ps or a pair of NX750Ps but my wife would not let me spend that much money. :cry: The LM15As are simply to replace my passive system - Wharfedale EVP-X15 + Mackie 1400. It will be a second system which i technically don't really need (don't tell my wife ;) ). I just like buying new stuff...when I can. I have been curious about Carvin for a while, and after putting these speakers to the test, I will have a more viable opinion of if it is quality stuff or not. Should come in next week, so I will post a review for everyone. :) Al

• 2 years later...
  • Members

just wondering if anyone has one of these carvin RX1200r the nonpowered version of the rx1200

i'm looking in to buying one for my band

is it a pretty good quality mixer

as far as sound, I noticed the eq is only a 7 band

has anyone ever used it with powered (active speakers) such as mackie 1501 subs

• Members

just wondering if anyone has one of these carvin RX1200r the nonpowered version of the rx1200

i'm looking in to buying one for my band

is it a pretty good quality mixer

as far as sound, I noticed the eq is only a 7 band

I have yet to see an eq on a mixing desk that was useful. Whether 7 band or 9 band or whatever it just isn't enough to fight feedback and I can't really see any other use for it. (I dare you to get any standard system to sound better as a whole than what it sounds flat). Most of them also sound better bipassed if they have the option.

It's a selling point that is really not useful.

• Members

You also might look at the Carvin PA1200...3 X 333w @ 4ohms, 12 channels, a very dependable unit that I've used for a while. The RX1200 is basically this same unit, except it has 4 X 300 watts @ 4ohms, so you can have two seperate monitor mixes, while the PA1200 allows only one (which has never been a problem in my trio/duo/solo gigs) and the RX1200 has a sub out, which may or may not be of interest to you.

I see the PA1200 on Ebay, from time to time, for quite a bit less than the RX1200.

The LM12 cabs are great, too.

Been using Carvin PA gear for about 35 years by choice. :)

• 4 years later...
  • Members

This is just some general rambling comments on the Carvin RX1200L and some other PA equipment I have used, 

As of this post I have probably had the RX1200L over a year.  I use it in a 3 or 4 piece band playing country and classic rock formats, primarily in clubs seating up to several hundred people.  It performs pretty well with everyone going direct, or using the guitar amp line outs, or just for vocal reinforcement.  We use a couple passive 2-way 15" speakers of uncertain ancestry, and 3 each 12" wedge monitors.  We have not strained this powered mixer yet and no hardware has broken.  I have it in the Carvin road case, which is light weight but provides protection from dust, fog and light handling abuse, but no shock mounts.  Yes, it is a pain in the butt having a handle on only one end.  Setup and teardown time is quick and easy for powered mixers with passive speakers, including this Carvin.  The USB and RCA connectors are handy for break music, as is the live channel that is available while the mute is engaged.  Mic inputs are OK for the money and we don't clip this thing very often or have feedback problems unless some guest yeah-hoo stuffs a mic into a HF horn.

I have worked in similar bands using an 800 watt Behringer Europower, and lots of miscellaneous old stuff like Fender PA heads and Peavey powered mixers.  I like the Carvin better than all these other units for small clubs.  Set up time for any of these units is quick and dirty.  The tube amp mixers seemed more tolerant of flakey power from generators.

The Carvin handles the bass much better than these other units.  With the bass up, the Carvin does not seem to put as much strain on the circuit breakers in those clubs that think lights, ATM machines, games, etc can all be run off the same 10 amp circuit as the band.  If you really need LOTS of bass, use a bass amp and skip going direct.

Would I use this thing at a festival?  Nope, unless we are talking about in a small beer garden or such.

For bigger venues I use a Mackie 1604-VLZ mixer to some big Mackie powered 3-way columns and some Yorkville 18" active subs, and some Mackie 2-ways for monitors. I can put close to 10K watts front of house and over 1000w from stage monitors.  I only mention this because I know what good equipment sounds like and actually own a lot of it, but the Carvin works well in small to medium venues and is a hell of a lot easier to haul, setup and connect everything.  We have to trailer the other stuff, the Carvin I can throw in the car.

BTW, my experience with some Peavey active subs is such that I do not trust them to be used as my only subs anymore, but primarily as stands for my Mackie 3-ways .... too many failures and too many fires and probably 90% more time in the shop being fixed than in front of the band!  Conversely, I had excellent experience with my Mark III subs and a Peavey passive board that we finally wore out after close to 10 years of constant use ... and they don't make it any more.  The Yorkville and Traynor stuff I love and I would have never learned of them if my Peavey active subs were not being used as work benches at my Peavey warranty shop and I needed something fast!  So karma exists!

Archived