Subwoofer advice needed for bar band..

• Members

We have recently bought 2 RCF 312a tops and have been happy with them.  Our first gigs are coming up and we are going to need at least 1 sub for some of the bars.  We have been leaning toward the powered route but would like to get the best bang for the buck. 

We were going to go with the RCF SUB718 which we could get for $1175 but I am seeing other options now that I am wondering about.  The RCF is a 700 watt 18" but the JBL PRX618s is 1000 watt 18" for a slightly less price.  I have seen a few other companys with a similar price for a 1000 watt 18".  I would have to use an external crossover if I don't go with the RCF but I'm wondering if the extra 300 watts is gonna make a significant difference. 

We are starting with one but plan on getting another withing the next 2 months.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

• Members

lttoler wrote:

We have recently bought 2 RCF 312a tops and have been happy with them.  Our first gigs are coming up and we are going to need at least 1 sub for some of the bars.  We have been leaning toward the powered route but would like to get the best bang for the buck. 

We were going to go with the RCF SUB718 which we could get for $1175 but I am seeing other options now that I am wondering about.  The RCF is a 700 watt 18" but the JBL PRX618s is 1000 watt 18" for a slightly less price.  I have seen a few other companys with a similar price for a 1000 watt 18".  I would have to use an external crossover if I don't go with the RCF but I'm wondering if the extra 300 watts is gonna make a significant difference. 

We are starting with one but plan on getting another withing the next 2 months.  Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

wattage figures aren't the first thing to look at when comparing powered cabs. Check out max SPL and how it is measured.

• Members

lttoler wrote:

We have recently bought 2 RCF 312a tops and have been happy with them.  Our first gigs are coming up and we are going to need
at least 1 sub
for some of the bars.  We have been leaning toward the powered route but
would like to get the best bang for the buck

A single Yorkville LS801P will address your needs VERY well.

• Members

lttoler wrote:

OK, I am going to be the outlier here ;)

There are very few RCF SUB718's out there in the wild and I have seen no comparisons to the other subs in this class.

As a disclaimer, I haven't heard one myself.  Perhaps they are a great sub.

If you are only going to have 1 sub, and overall volume is a concern to you, then the LS801P is for sure the loudest in this pack.

As far as output level goes, here is my thoughts on the group of powered 18's out there....

KSub

With respect to sound quality, it depends on what you like.  If you like a tight sounding sub, my personal opinion is that the XLF's are the best sounding subs in this price catagory (easily on par with the SRX718 with proper powering and processing applied).

Hope this helps more than it confuses you ;)

• Members

With 2 subs in a SoS setup you gain aesthetic symmetry and a smaller footprint than using two speaker stands for the mains, and a little bit of safety by eliminating the potential for trip hazards resulting from using speaker stands. 

That said, if you really only ever plan to buy ONE sub and can afford an LS801P and don't mind lugging it around... then it's the hands down winner in the single sub for maximum thump contest. BUT (and it's a very big but (no Sit Mix-A-Lot jokes, please)) that Yorkie sub NEEDS room to do it's business. I've heard them used in rooms that were just too small and the chest-thumping potential is just wasted since they are really most effective when your dance floor is 30ft. or so away from the sub. Did I mention that they are also HEAVY and a PITA to move by yourself... unless you have a truck with a ramp. Even getting one up to steps can be a major pain on your own.

Archived