Thoughts on Foldback for Drums

• Members

I have a PRX rig 612s over 618xlfs that I use mainly for small venues and typical 60/70s rock bands. 

One drummer has asked for kick and snare in their wedge so he can hear the drums. Hear the drums!!!!!! The drummer has a good set of drums and hits hard - no one else in the band or audience is having trouble hearing them.

I normally give the drummer a vocal wedge (usually an EVSX300) so they can follow the singing. I don't mind buying something better if it improves the overall sound. But I suspect making the drums any louder on stage will just make the guitarists turn up. Something I'd like to avoid!

What do you do for drum foldback in small venues? Is a better drum wedge going to make things better or worse? Would a PRX615 work well as a drum wedge?

Cheers

• Members

Art Flood wrote:

I have a PRX rig 612s over 618xlfs that I use mainly for small venues and typical 60/70s rock bands. 

One drummer has asked for kick and snare in their wedge so he can hear the drums. Hear the drums!!!!!! The drummer has a good set of drums and hits hard - no one else in the band or audience is having trouble hearing them.

I normally give the drummer a vocal wedge (usually an EVSX300) so they can follow the singing. I don't mind buying something better if it improves the overall sound. But I suspect making the drums any louder on stage will just make the guitarists turn up. Something I'd like to avoid!

What do you do for drum foldback in
small venues
? Is a better drum wedge going to make things better or worse? Would a PRX615 work well as a drum wedge?

Cheers

i guess it depends on what you mean by 'small venues'.  I work in some venues that just use a normal wedge for drum monitors, and some that have both a wedge and subwoofer.  If it's just one drummer asking for this, maybe it's not worth changing things. A lot of drummers do like to hear the kick drum through a monitor system with a sub.  They like to 'feel' as well as hear the kick. Adding a subwoofer may not necessarily create a big increase in volume.  Don't forget that many drummers will want the bass guitar in their monitor too.

If you think you might be providing in larger venues and for bands that are used to having a drum monitor with sub, then you might want to add that.  If there is no demand, and you usually work in smaller places with limited stage space, then maybe not.

• Members

Thanks Aged. Could a PRX612 could handle the job too - as it makes more sense for me to buy another 612 as a backup for FOH duty.

Minn12 - small venues in my case less the 200 people. Usually no guitars in the PA, just vocal, drums and sometime bass. Bass amp is usually right next to the drummer so I've never had bass in the foldback.

Its probably because the whole band is often squeezed into a small space that makes it hard for the drummer to hear himself.

If it were my own band, I'd turn the guitars down further which I reckon would solve the drummers problem, help the singer, and probably make the whole mix better too!  

Archived