You get what you pay for..

• Members

So the past two years, I have ran sound for a few local Relay For Life events in the area over the past few years. First time around I was muddy because I had a really small setup, last year turned out a lot better. Three bands plus a couple individual acts, not a huge deal. 2 EV mains (1x15 over 1x18 each side), 4 EV monitors, I got the job done with no complaints. Well, a few days ago, I get messages from two of three bands returning this year, asking if it was me again this year (new location but nearby),I told them no and they said it was Friday (today), but it was a "good" sound guy. Well, turns out the "good" sound guy has a 10 channel Yamaha board, two Mackie unpowered cabs and two Peavey cabs...no monitors, minimal mics. They made it but by the skin of their teeth. Mix was terrible, and no monitors made it worse. I wasn't too worried, I know I did a good job, but I guess they didn't think so. So as the saying goes, you get what you pay for...

• Members

And I'm not trying to boast that I'm anything great.  I'm halfway between a "knob turner" and a "pro engineer", I know what to do, just have a lot to learn...but that was posted on my iPad because my laptop was dead...but, with that being said...

bzzt

• Members

djiceman1575 wrote:

So as the saying goes, you get what you pay for...

It depends.

I've been doing freelance work for a bigger company and my last gig with them was a fashion show. We did lighting, audio, and staging. Show came in two 24' trucks. Anyways, one of the other freelancers works for another company that had bid on the show and their quote came in way too high. He was saying this company has lost out on a lot of it's contracts because they're trying to charge way too much money.

You can't really charge $600/day for a laptop or a projector these days.

• Members

djiceman1575 wrote:

I wasn't too worried, I know I did a good job, but I guess they didn't think so. So as the saying goes, you get what you pay for...

Along the same lines, I'll suggest:  Be selective in the work you do, because the work you do will likely continue to be "the work you do".  It's a self fulfilling prophesy. There's been threads on this forum concerning "advertising".  I believe the "advertising" what works in the production business is "reputation" and that's a double edged sword because the more you do of whatever it is that you do, the more the market will align you with whatever it is that you do... resulting in more work like that more likely than not to come your way.

• Members

Mogwix wrote:

djiceman1575 wrote:

So as the saying goes, you get what you pay for...

It depends.

You can't really charge $600/day for a laptop or a projector these days.

It does depend. I charge this much (or more) for a projector, but that includes the knowledge to interface and maintain a proper theatrical picture. It's not just the projector, it's the whole value added package.

Archived