• Members

Found these guys online yesterday and am impressed with the specs they claim... http://www.ks-audio.de /// http://www.KSAudio.com

From their, slightly biased, YouTube videos of people who use the product, they make them sound like they're in the Nexo / Meyer range.

Has anyone here used KS Audio products and could chime in about their experience? I'm potentially looking to either buy more of or replacing my QSC GP212 subs and am ideally looking for a nice compact powered 2x15, the KS Audio CPD-W2 certainly fits the bill.

• Members

I've used the 8" powered line array 3 times, and I know Nobert and Eric, the guys in Clearwater that rep that stuff. It is VERY impresssive stuff. Well laid out, well thought out, loud, clear, and easy as pie. The catch is that you HAVE to use their processing and amps (only on passive cabs). EVERYTHING, just like Apple, is propreitary, no substitutions allowed. Their floor monitors are great stuff, and pretty light. Pretty much can't say enough about them, they are great products. If you get a chance to try the stuff out, do it. If you need more info on how to get in touch with these guys, email me Graham at CompassRI.com.

• Members

I just spoke with 2 reps from KS Audio. Norbert, who called me yesterday afternoon from the MusicMesse show, and what I can only assume was late night for him (time difference). And another rep this morning... think it was Eric.

Very very friendly people.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Well Folks...

I flew down to Florida for the weekend to visit with some family, but had setup an appointment to swing by KS Audio for a demo of their Live PA product offering.

I'll write up a full overview tomorrow when I have more time (getting dinner here at the airport before my flight home)... but let's just say that I'm blown away.

Seriously. :love:

The term, "impressive" is so often used, but in this sense, I'm truly impressed. It's like they've figured out how to defy the laws of physics.

• Members

Please keep us informed

I'm looking for a new small format big sound system

and after reading a little from their website it sounds very interesting

let's just hope that the price is not in the Meyer territory

cheers,

Charles

It is.

• Members

As promised, a more thorough "review".

I called Norbert from KS Audio about a month ago after reading a FOH Mag review on his gear and inquiring about the product. Norbert is more "mad scientist" than "salesman", which I view as a good thing. He's more interested in selling you what you need, versus up-selling a larger system.... and he DOES know his stuff.

Upon walking into the shop, I was ready to be given a demo and figured we'd be inside, in their controlled closed environment, tuned etc... but to my surprise, he had 5 different sets of speakers setup in the back parking lot with painted marks on the ground at 25', 50', 75', 100' away from the lineup.

System Lineup:

System 1) "Sat 3" system, consisting of 1 CB18 Active 18" sub, 1 Passive CW18 Passive 18" Sub, and 2 C1 (10" / 1") Passive Tops. -- This is their entry level system.

System 2) Pair of CPD W1 (15" Active Subs) and a Pair of CPD12 (12" / 1.4") Active Tops

System 3) Pair of CPD Subs (4x10) - Pair of C10's (10" / 1.4") Tops.

System 4) "Conset 4" System - Pair of C12, Pair of C1214 (Coaxial 12" / 1.4"), Pair TSub (8x10)

System 5) T-Line Array, 6 Tops, 2 Subs

Onto my "system" impressions....

"Satellite 3"

The Sat3 system was amazing for it's size. With the wind blowing at our backs and into the systems, you could still hear it, clear as day from 100' away. Granted SPL's weren't thumping back there, but nonetheless impressive for such a small system, outside, in the wind.

The coverage pattern was unbelievable. 120 degrees (per box) in the near field, then as you walked in the 50-70' range, you could sense it narrowing up... by 75ft, true to their marketing, it had tightened up to a 60 degree coverage pattern.

The only thing I didn't like about this system was the subs seemed a bit weak. Granted we were outside. Though Norbert claims the new version of the subs, just released at the Musicmesse a month ago added 200 more watts and are now 'perfectly matched'. He simulated this by having one of his techs boost the db's on the back of the sub, which indeed, brought them more in line with the tops.

Overall, if you're a bar/club band that plays to 300 people or less and want to really step up your game. THIS IS THE SYSTEM FOR YOU.

System 2

I really enjoyed the C12 tops... Every song demo that we put through the system made me smile. Clarity clarity clarity. I heard things on this system, OUTSIDE, that I could only hear on my home-studio monitors.

The CPDW1 subs were much more punchy... as you'd expect from a 15".

This system could easily keep 500-600 people outside VERY happy.

System 3

An interesting combo... I think Norbert really wanted me to hear how easily interchangeable their speaker combos are. I liked this system the least however... probably due to the smaller C10 tops, opposed to the C12s. However just like System 2, it was very clear and LOUD.

System 4

Definitely out of my price range, but listening with ears to recommend to other sound providing friends of mine, this system kicked some serious @$$ and took names. 100' away, wind at our backs... sound was projected CLEARLY. I've heard similar sized systems at local / regional festivals that couldn't hold a candle to these. Not to mention, when you got close to them (10-20ft), since there was no distortion, I felt, literally, no pain in my ears. (Granted, I wouldn't want to sit there for hours, but still... impressive.)

System 5

T-Array --- equally as impressive as the System 4 listed above... but had the typical Line Array mid-high boost and easily threw the sound long distance.

OVERALL:

I've never experienced small format boxes that could do what these systems can do. Berklee Colege of Music's Cafe 939 venue has a nice small Meyer system installed... and these are easily on par, if not better than it. It's definitely better than a comparable EAW and my Turbosound rig... and light years beyond the average consumer-level QSC KW, JBL PRX, EV, Yahama, etc... systems.

Pricing for the Sat3 system is affordable for bar bands that want to really step up their games... beyond that, things really start to ratchet upwards.

That said, I'll likely be purchasing a hybrid setup... 2 CB18's with 2 C12's.

Anyone interested in some Turbo TQ's and QSC Wideline subs? 9.5/10 cond... selling cheap. ;)

• Members

Is Eric still with them? He came up with a system for a concert in New Bedford a few years ago, and then we rented twice from them afterwards. At LDI in 2008, their booth was located way off in the back, buried in a corner. They were packed anyway. Everybody who came by said " I could hear this music from across the hall, but Ive been trying to fin the source for an hour, it just never get any louder the closer I got!". Very cool stuff, strikingly clean. I wish I could afford it....

• Members

Yeah, those look like some of their older systems. The current stuff has a much larger price spread... You'll have to call Norbert and he'll send you an updated price list. Doubt he'd quote me any different than you guys... but I'd rather have the quote come from him, rather than me relaying what I've been quoted.

• Members

Jonathan, just spoke to Norbert today and I'm VERY excited to say the least...

I'm seriously thinking of flying and doing an in/out listening test to choose a system

It's a tad more that I was thinking in investing but the technology in these boxes seems

to be light years ahead of anything I've heard and it's up there with d&b & Meyer...

If you take that in consideration then it's not that bad and it makes sense to make the investment

I would love to hear someone else to chime in and explain if they experienced these KS speakers

Jonathan thanks a lot for posting this

cheers,

Charles

• 2 months later...
  • Members

Update:

Just put my deposit in on their "Session 3" system. Arrival time estimated late August / early September. - Yes, I'm freakin' stoked.

Now, as far as selling my Turbosound TQ445DP's and QSC GP212.... I guess it's official that they are FOR SALE, pending the arrival of the KS rig. There is an interested person here in Boston already, but if that falls through I definitely would like to offer them to someone in the Acapella community - as you're all great people!

• Members

Congrats Jonathan,

I have to buy first a van and a new car so I had to settle

on a pair of QSC KW122 & a pair of QSC KW181 system.

I will have enough dough by years end to buy this exact system

In the meantime I'll have yours as reference...

very exited to see your first video review on this killer system.

cheers,

Charles

PS: Please PM the details on this system

• 2 months later...
  • Members

FedEx shows delivery estimated, later today. Yeah, I'm a little excited. :)

Testing them tonight (hopefully), and then have 2 gigs this weekend to let-em rip!

Will file a full Report on Monday night / Tuesday morning.

Archived