Advice on kick drum mics

• Members

Hello all, Looking for thoughts on kick drum mics. Getting ready to buy mics for my set-up. I'm looking at 2 different ones, Shure Beta 52 and the AKG D112. If I go the Shure route I could just buy two DMK 57-52 drum kits and kill two bird with one stone. (I'm going to go with 57's & 58's for everything else.) Does anyone have experience with both of these mics? Thanks, Doug.

• Members

Not enough information to go on.

Audix D6 is popular but it a tailored sound with a click.

Beta 52 is a good mic, but more of a bottom end sound and little top end.

Heil PR40 is a good mic, with clck and bottom, but fairly neutral overall.

Audio Technica ATM25 is a good mic with very little color.

D112 is a good mic for some things, but usually not kick drum, although some love them and most can at least get by with one.

There are lots of others also, too numerous to mention. You have to knbow what sound you are going for to pick a good mic for kick. It is like asking foir a good guitar...some fit certain music better than other. Not much heavy metal on Ric 12 strings but they are still great guitars.  Tell us what you play, and what sound you want the kick to have. Then maybe we can steer you to a good answer.

• Moderators

I'd look into the ATM-25.

It's always been my favorite for kick, both live and in the studio. Not particularly colored, so you can EQ it to sound how you like it.

I'd also look at something like the Senn 604s, for tom miking - it seems like they'd sound better and be easier/more compact to set up than 57s?

MG

• Members

Guitarman63 wrote:

If I go the Shure route I could just buy two DMK 57-52 drum kits and kill two bird with one stone.

There's your answer. The Beta 52 is a perfectly acceptable mic, I use it every week.

My favourite would be a Heil PR40 (expensive but neutral), second would be an Audix D6 (very tailored). Honorable mentions are the ATM250, E602/902. All of which I use often.

• Members

Mogwix wrote:                                                                                                                                      Honorable mentions are the ATM250, E602/902. All of which I use often.

I am surprised you ar the first person in the forum to say you like the two Sennheiser kick mics. I have heard nothing but awesome reviews about them from almost everyone I know.

Archived