MOVING HEAD WASH - RGBW or RGBA?

• Members

If I  have 2 par cans RGBA that can produce AMBER to shine on the Performers' faces....and if I also have the brandless 4 on a bar (Quad Lebs RGBW) that is similar CHAUVET 4 BAr Tri Led (RGB) as front Wash.... is it wise to buy 2 MIni Moving HEad LED Lights to further give  some SIDE fill?

If yes...will RGBA or RGBW be better as Side fill?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • Members

stunningbabe wrote:

If I  have 2 par cans RGBA that can produce AMBER to shine on the Performers' faces....and if I also have the brandless 4 on a bar (Quad Lebs RGBW) that is similar CHAUVET 4 BAr Tri Led (RGB) as front Wash.... is it wise to buy 2 MIni Moving HEad LED Lights to further give  some SIDE fill?

If yes...will RGBA or RGBW be better as Side fill?

I have two Chauvet 4 Bar Tri units (one for each side of stage pointing in and back), two Chauvet COLORPallete's, and one Chauvet Eclipse RGB. From what little I know and the little experience I have with my lighting you may be confusing the term wash with effect.

For instance, your par cans are washes and your brandless 4 fixture LED trees are also color washes.

The COLORPalletes I have are washes as are the 4Bar Tri units. But the Eclipse is an effect, not a wash. I am pretty sure that the moving heads (while they maybe are being called washes) are actually more effects. Then again, they may be called moving head washes because when they move slowly they are more color washes?

Not sure this is helping you any, Stunning, but I think that from what I have read, most people use the moving heads as effects not washes? :)

Also, I have been wondering about the whole RGB versus RGBA issue. All my lights are RGB, but just recently, while on the phone with Chauvet, they were telling me that the better lights are RGBA because the "A" allows for a warmer fourth color, which is Amber. I remember as I hung up thinking, "Gee, perhaps this would have been nice to tell me, oh I don't know...BEFORE I ordered fifteen hundred dollars worth of your lights??!!"

lol

• Members

thx guys.

yes...I am a total novice in Stage Lighting. I started becoming interested in it after a friend of mine bought all the Lights I mentioned on the 1st post...and his band looked really cool on stage.

Yes...I know trhat Moving Heads are used more for effects instead of Wash...thuogh it can also be used for Wash.

Just that I thought noving Heads add a lotta 'COOL' factor into my show...so that is why I asked this.

• Members

I put my front ones on top of my speakers when I have to. I raise them up when I can. I'm thinking of making something that will mount to the too of the speaker, like maybe the addition of a pole cup or something I can attach to a fly point that will allow a T-Bar to be installed.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

I put my front ones on top of my speakers when I have to. I raise them up when I can. I'm thinking of making something that will mount to the too of the speaker, like maybe the addition of a pole cup or something I can attach to a fly point that will allow a T-Bar to be installed.

Strat, I actually have two LED trees in the forum of Chauvet 4Bar Tri units, which obviously don't need to be mounted because they have their own stands and trees. I also have a Chauvet lighting stand that I use for the two Chauvet COLORPallete's and the Chauvet Eclipse RGB. So unless I buy a bunch more lights (which I don't really think I need right now) I have allthe stands and mounts I need for the moment.

Here is the stand I have (Chauvet CH-01)

Chauvet CH-01

\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_\_

Oh and here are the 4Bar Tri's:

Chauvet 4Bar Tri

• Members

Nice!!

One thing I noticed, setting up in the basement was this. At first I had the lights on the truss pointing towards the "crowd" this meant I had them less bright as they were really in your face.

I tilted them downward and was able to then run them at full. This gave me nice beams without blinding everyone.

I'm getting some boxes made out of angle iron to raise up my mains. Then I'll put a T-Bar on top. The less stands out front the less chance a drunk will trip on them. Right now I mount one fab5 per side to the fly points. A T-Bar will let me run 2 per side.

I prefer getting then up over the band when I can...

In these pics they could have been aimed a little higher up on our faces.

Colors:

Amber full

White at 50%

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/44698922-006A-4E82-96FC-07C35519AC74-10291-000006BBA10B3A80.jpg

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z398/robare99/9B65B65A-E784-49DB-8D61-B32E24E64EA9-10291-000006BB7A123F79.jpg

• Members

I had an engineering exam that had the following question as extra credit:

Express the angle of the dangle as a function of the tork of the dork while specifing the direction of the erection as the inverse function of the curl of the girl while summing the cum from 1 to as high as it goes. Additional points given for graphing the function with artistic license.

• Members

Everyone wants it to change on the beat. I guess that works work for EDM which is usually boom boom boom. But when it's rock music, the kick is all over the place. I think it would be too frenetic, but that's just me. My old setup had 8 channels, power switched on and off. We usually set it to sound which was better than nothing, as it ran through patterns, but it was also kind of a YOU DESERVE A SEIZURE!!!! Kinda thing.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Everyone wants it to change on the beat. I guess that works work for EDM which is usually boom boom boom. But when it's rock music, the kick is all over the place. I think it would be too frenetic, but that's just me.

I think that's why he was suggesting keeping the fixtures away from the subwoofers and not using it if the band's stage volume is too loud.

• Members

What about using color pallets for front lighting a band? It could be useful? Or it would be better to use it in the back? I bought 10 of those, and I use 4 in the front on 2 Hercules trees (2 on each tree) and I have a portable truss like the chauvet one (3m x 3m) and I put 4 in them as well, do you guys thing that is OK? I'm running them with a elation compu1024 USB dongle,

• Members

JV90 wrote:

What about using color pallets for front lighting a band? It could be useful? Or it would be better to use it in the back? I bought 10 of those, and I use 4 in the front on 2 Hercules trees (2 on each tree) and I have a portable truss like the chauvet one (3m x 3m) and I put 4 in them as well, do you guys thing that is OK? I'm running them with a elation compu1024 USB dongle,

JV, I could be way off here, but I think that the folks here, when discussing this, are speaking from the standard correct way to do lighting. Admonishments such as using only RGBA lights in the front because the regular RGB colors might wash out the performers' faces and such are very good pro tips.

You know what, though?

I play in a Grateful Dead cover band with a bunch if middle aged men. Their faces can use a little "washing out" in my opinion. Look, if you're playing in Madison Square Garden or are doing lighting for acts at Agedhorse's level, these are things you have to do.

However, while I won't speak for anyone else, I am perfectly fine having assorted rainbow colors, and am not concerned about the lack of amber. In a few months I may (and probably will) investigate the possibility of going the more technically correct route for lighting. But for now, My COLORPallete's are center stage and pointing down at the performers and the 4Bar Tris are off to stage left and right toward the front pointing back and in.

Again, though, I am aware this is "wrong" and don't care much because I like all the pretty colors.

• Members

Yes, I understand and it make sense the comments around the amber, but I was wondering if someone over here could say something regarding the use of a palette to use in front knowing that it doesn't have the right white or amber that over here are recommending, the use of this rig is actually for worship acts, church events,

• Members

Looking into the direct from china lights, there are literally hundreds of factories making similar lights. All from different areas of the country. So whether or not one of the factory also makes lights for chauvet is anyone's guess.

• Members

StratGuy22 wrote:

Looking into the direct from china lights, there are literally hundreds of factories making similar lights. All from different areas of the country. So whether or not one of the factory also makes lights for chauvet is anyone's guess.

I hear you. And as I said, maybe these no-name brands are the way to go. I was not, in any way, objecting to that premise, In fact, I am far too ignorant to make any kind of claims one way or the other. I am just interested in knowing more than I do before I buy my next wave of lights. ;)

• Members

Like agedhorse told me in another threat, its different markets, that's all, stunningbabe its from Malaysia while I'm from Ecuador, so both of us struggles on branded gear, over here we got an aura brand of led that cost lower than the chauvet brand, and the major of their products looks the same to the chauvet, but aura has a lower cost to us, also err have Chinese unbranded light as well, I'm trying to get 4 par can64 rgb 1 watt led that goes for $65 each, the only problem that they have is the order of the rgb wich are not in that way, GRB but I can live with that, if I buy a chauvet one that's exactly the same 1 watt led it would cost to me $179 each, so I can get 3 Chinese for the price of one; of course I understand by you guys that with 1 watt you can't do anything, but I've seen in action this little cost ones and they look fine for what I'm doing; you guys over the USA have a lot of offering, selection, form of payment and more, we in the goth country don't have that luxury, I'm not complaining about it, but it's the true for us; with that in mind I too think like stunningbabe why should I get a branded one led with a price that would allowed me to buy a better or more than one gear b that I need?

• Members

JV90...I agree with you.There are people here who dont knwo how lucky they are...paying so LITTLE for gears...while people like me have to pay 3.2 times more for the same items!

I bet if these lucky ones end up in my country...they will FULLY understand both JV90 and my problems....and why we do what we do.

• Members

Chirovette, over here we have brands such as Qsc, Crown, Jbl, Fbt, Rcf and so on; the fact is that normally they would cost 2 times what would be your retail price; if you want to get a normal prx612m over here you'll have to pay around $1500 or more for each piece, a single sub from the prx line would be around $2000 or more, so you see that for whatever reason its not possible to get some known brand like this one that all of you guys known; also we got gemini, samson, phonic, and a lot of oem brands that we also dont know; but if you search thru the whole category of the stock that the importers bring over here you can find some jewels like Elder Audio(unknown for you, but its a pretty recognized brand over here www.elderaudio.com) the brand is Beta3, altought there is someone that is importing in the US, but they are taking the wrong series, that would be the "U series"; i have the TS Series that they produce and they sound pretty decent for what they cost, of course i cant tell you that they sound exactly like a jbl, or qsc, or yamaha, but they really sound good (TS300A 12" 400 w) when i bought them i compare them with the mackies one V1 and V2, and the TS would sound better; each one cost me at that time (4 years ago) $499 each, i didnt buy the subs at that time, but over a year ago i bought the subs EB118a, wich they cost me $849 each; because the brand its really unknown to you guys maybe you would be thinking what kind of thing or crap did i buy; but if you have the chance to hear one of them? Heard it, of course in a proper installation with decent sound and son, Omnisistem i think its the one who import them to the US, i dont work for Omnisistem, i dont work for Beat3 or elder audio, neither i am saying that you should buy them, just giving my opinion to you guys for understand a little bit more about what can you do when you dont have the oportunities that you have over your country; of course for me they are not a poor mans sound, cause i could bought some oem speaker that came with bluetooth, 3 inputs, wieless antennas, ipod dock and so on that the chinesse offer, but it wasnt my case at all; also, over the brand doesnt mean that you would ask a bit more such in cases that i haved read over here that the orange badge helps, over here it doesnt, mostly the work that i do its corporate events and worship events, the customers they really dont care if you have audix mix, shure, jbl, qsc, yamaha, in almost cases they dont recognized the brand at all; what do they recognized its the cost that they are spending, in wich case if you get the lowest price they would give you the job; of course im not into that game, so i really do have a list of loyal clients that books my services knowing or unknowing what brand do i use, they dont care about as long the event goes well, thats why stunning and i have the same point of view at this manner; maybe on the US the market its completely different and the brands help to get the event i really dont know; what i really know its that in the llitle and big things that i learn over this forum, reading the manuals, and put them in practice with my gear, i can do the gig complete whitout any complaints at all, im not a sound engineer, and dont consider one cause i really need to learn a lot, and im still learning; that is really why i(and i think stunningbabe too) do what we do; for us its normal to be on "basic gear" which isnt the case for us, but i can assure you that stunningbabe and i can do things with our "unbranded", "unknown brand" and so on...

• Members

lol

JV90, I simply cannot keep typing the same thing over and over again in the desperate hope that my actual meaning will be understood. Please take a moment to re-read my posts a little more carefully so that you can, oh I don't know, respond to what I am actually saying maybe? :)

Archived