painting sm58's?

• Members

got a "box o stuff" in today. bunch of 57's and 58's and other doodads. 57's brand new (really) but the 58's are beat. they work fine and sound normal but the paint on the bodies is badly damaged from being banged around. looks like anodized finish chipped off.......can i rattle can these with something? the balls are in relatively good shape. i have my balls soaking in hot soapy water right now :womanlol: so they will be nice and clean lol (hell it made my wife laugh)

i mostly do corporate style gigs where presentation is important so good looking mics is a must. (i still do grimey rock stuff too) but for example i have a PBS gig coming up where everything needs to be grade A. i wouldnt want to use these 58's in this shape.

• Members

I would suggest looking into some automotive paint. I work at a Sherwin Williams automotive paint store and a guy came in looking to do the same thing. We were able to match the color. He had the mice sprayed at a local shop. First they put on the color, then sprayed a good durable clear with some flattened in it. The last time I saw the guy he said they're holding up great, but that he doesn't store more than 1 mic per bag so they aren't getting knocked around.

The reasoning behind using auto paint is for durability. Aerosol paint in cans doesn't have the hardner that the mix before you spray has in it so its not near as durable.

• Members

Conventional rattlecan paint won't hold up. It's also hard to bond to the die cast zinc body, special acid etching is needed. Later ones may be powder coated too.

Auto paint might work, but chipping might be a problem. It's a lot of effort to save a few bucks IMO.

• Members

makes sense about the durability.

in this case a couple bucks is $980 to replace the 58's with new.

after i used some goo gone to clean them several actually look 'not that bad' but two are chipped up fierce.

• Members

turns out the foam is rotten in both the balls and the cartridge. these must be pretty old. not sure if its worth attempting a fix or not. the ball foam is easy to get but the cartridge foam looks impossible. at this age who knows how long the have left, maybe i will flat rate a couple to shure.

• Members

I use heat shrink sleeves to increase the grip diameter on tennis racquets.  That may be a very clean lookin solution for your beat up mic bodies.  The sleeves actually come in many colors:

http://www.buyheatshrink.com/heatshrinktubing/3m-fp301-2to1polyolefin.htm#B

I've never applied one to anything with a taper - but I'd suspect that it would work.

• Members

i could. i get tired of explaining to people that there are other mics besdies the 58 at these events though. i'm at the point where i would rather just stick a 58 up there and have no argument. i'll save my good mics for my band (which is what i bought them for)

remember these are the people that show up with a guitar and no cord and then yell and cry because i didnt carry a guitar cord with me when i loaded my truck. i also dont carry picks or strings either, nor an assortment of tuba straps, violin bows, clarinet reeds or trumpet valve oil but those folks seem to know enough to provide their own.

this same guy who thew a fit on my stage and called me every name in the book because i didnt have a guitar cable ready for him then got a 57 on a boom and proceeded to bang his guitar into the whole show. thing is i DID have a cable but he pissed me off so bad he wasnt going to get one.

• Members

n8cJohn wrote:

I use heat shrink sleeves to increase the grip diameter on tennis racquets.  That may be a very clean lookin solution for your beat up mic bodies.  The sleeves actually come in many colors:

I've never applied one to anything with a taper - but I'd suspect that it would work.

I wonder how it would hold up to being placed and removed (repeatedly) from a mic clip?

• Members

trevcda wrote:

What about powder coating?  It's really not that expensive to have done.  The only downside I see is that you generally can't do it in-house.

You also have to take everything apart completely so that the housings can be baked. Not worth the cost of labor unless doing it in the manufacturing phase before assembly.

Archived