On being "Territorial"

• Members

I notice a business approach philosophy of some sound providers that I'll call "territorial rights" for lack of a better term. In a nut shell: "This geographic area is mine and that one is yours. You stay out of my area and I'll stay out of yours". I have never seen this attitude in any other business. McDonald's builds next to Burger King, Ford dealerships are next to Chevrolet, etc........................To add to the difficulty of this, it is not uncommon for a promoter to "Price shop" for services which makes being territorial a moot point.

I decided some time ago that business is business and if I can land a job within my skill/equipment set, good for me. If my competitor beats me on a job then I need to do better next time. However in conversations, there are clearly some folks who do their best to adhere to this out of respect to other providers. I can see where they're coming from, I simply don't agree with it. What would be a situation where you would feel compelled to follow this protocol ? 

• Members

This is common for union work, but I've never actually seen a sound company claim a "territory". not a real sound company, anyways. bottom feeder types tend to do this because their business model relies on things other than quality of service.

Archived